self made soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmharley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have 50 pounds of #7.5 lead shot used for reloading shotgun shells. Was wondering if anyone had some input on making some of this into soft weights, was thinking of using old bicycle tubes to seal the shot in. I can weigh it out on my digital scale I use for work. Any other sugestions on material to house this in? Will be putting it into a knighthawk and ladyhawk bc btw :)

true but would there really be that much air in a 2in wide tube filled with lead? Would like to find a tight nit mesh to sew up some pouces too. Just trying to be thrifty with this, weights at 3 bucks a pound out here seems super steep to me. Where as I bought a 25 pound bag of shot for 20 bucks. Any ideas on where to find some tight mesh?

I've made my own using zip-lock bags - you can suck the majority of the air out of them, then wrap them in gaffer tape to make them a bit more robust.

They're not as soft as a normal soft weight (depends on how much tape you put around them) which actually works quite nicely on the knighthawk pockets, which quite frankly are a royal PITA to get in to the BCD if they're too soft.

By the way, if the lead is going to be in contact with water make sure you've got the right type of shot!! Can't remember what you should be using (graphite free?) but it can damage the environment.

Thanks for the heads up on the being in contact with the water bit. Was thinking of maybe vacuum pak lol, would probably make it too stiff but maye worth a shot. Also like the zip lok bag and tape idea too. thinking of doing a test with the bike tube and sealing it with a patch and glue, sticking it in water for a few days/week and cut it open to see if it takes on an moisture. Keep the ideas comin, thanks all.... :D

vacuum packer.....
reload shells > hunter > stores meat??? just made that assumption...

I tried the bicycle tube to put on my back plate. It quickly got as long as my back plate, and still was only about 2.5lbs of lead. It looks like it would hold more, but it doesn't. I'm looking for material too. The bags of shot I bought from my LDS are deteriorating after only one year. I'll be D----d if I'm going to buy more of those lousy bags! :D I just know I can make better ones with the right material. I have something like 35lbs of leads in soft weights, that when you carry them through the house, you can hear tick, tick, tick... the shot hitting the floor... it's probably 32lbs now :wink:

Jason

If you have access to a sewning machine. Buy some canvas or or equivalent material cut out squares and sew some small bags (like bean bags). Fill them and stich them up.

Loneranger:
If you have access to a sewning machine. Buy some canvas or or equivalent material cut out squares and sew some small bags (like bean bags). Fill them and stich them up.

yeah like, maybe if you have an old rash guard or something you good double up on the fabric to make it tougher, then sew that together.

Back
Top Bottom