self made soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my mother sew up some various size pouches made of nylon mesh fabric I found at WalMart. The material is surprisingly tough. Got about 20 dives on a set of these, no failures yet.

Lead.jpg

I used fiberglass screen from lowes. the kind for doors 36in wide by 72in long. cheap and works good. double it up and make bags sew with nylon thead from walmart works get . just make sure you leave them out to dry good when you are done diving.

When I first got back into diving, money was tight, so I bought some lead shot to make my own weights. But I put the shot into a pair of cotton tube socks, and tie-wrapped the top and cut off the excess. I think there are still a couple of them hanging around the garage, over 8 years old and still holding the lead.
C-Dawg

Hi jumharley:
We have a product just made for your purpose. These "fill yourself" Mesh Pockets are available in four sizes; 2 lb, 3 lb, 4 lb and 5 lb. They open/close with Velcro so no sewing is required. These use a double Velcro closure so you don't have an issue with lead BB's leaking out. Each size is a different color and the total weight capacity is marked on a sewn on tag. You can view them here http://xsscuba.com/weight_access.html The suggested retail price is just $3.00 each, any size. This may be a better solution then fabricating your own.

jsmharley:
I have 50 pounds of #7.5 lead shot used for reloading shotgun shells. Was wondering if anyone had some input on making some of this into soft weights, was thinking of using old bicycle tubes to seal the shot in. I can weigh it out on my digital scale I use for work. Any other sugestions on material to house this in? Will be putting it into a knighthawk and ladyhawk bc btw :)

jsmharley:
I have 50 pounds of #7.5 lead shot used for reloading shotgun shells. Was wondering if anyone had some input on making some of this into soft weights, was thinking of using old bicycle tubes to seal the shot in. I can weigh it out on my digital scale I use for work. Any other sugestions on material to house this in? Will be putting it into a knighthawk and ladyhawk bc btw :)

1000 Denier Cordura seems to be the standard, that and neoprene.

Either of these can be picked up many places, (even on-line at ebay, etc), use heavy thread and double stitch all the seems. If you're really inventive, you can color code your different weights.

My wife and I have made about fifty pounds of soft weight pouches, and are now in the prototype phase on our own design for a weight belt. (PLease noe requests for pictures...we'll post em once we've gotten past proof of concept, and locked down the patent.

Cheers!

I used the same canvas bag the shots came in. The shot that I got were in a canvas bag that was about 10 inches long so I cut it in half and made 2 very strong pouches for the shots. The shots I got are steel so I don't have to worry about all the danger associated with the handling of wet canvas covered with lead powder from all the shots rubbing against each other.

MoonLight Drive:
vacuum packer.....
reload shells > hunter > stores meat??? just made that assumption...

It would be to hard to keep the shot in the bag during the sealing process. :D

I would put them in a baggy inside a mesh cover. Why the baggy because it would be easier to sew around. Make sure you sew it so you can pull the baggy out without spilling. The tube would be good if you only needed two pound weights. Any thing more would get to long. With mesh you can custpmize for youself.

bajashack:
I used Denim just an old pair of levi’s, lasted about 5 years. (about 350 dives).

I did exactly the same thing in 1984.. for weights to use in a photography studio (that is what I was doing at the time). They knocked around for twenty years before I ever took them diving.. since they only get used in fresh water I expect them to last another 20.

Go to your local camping supply store, eg Gander Mountain. They have small nylon ditty bags in sets of three for a couple bucks. They are 3"x5" or something like that. Six made up twenty five pounds of shot. they have a draw string top. My wife stitched them closed. They dry quicker than canvas or denim materials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom