Self Taught Sidemount - Is it Doable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being an engineer, I like to futz... Drives my wife crazy sometimes. But she is really happy to have me go through all of her gear and have it tuned up and packed for her when we head out for a dive trip. :)

Sounds like my wife.... During her OW training she told her instructor during gear set-up... It's good to know, But... Jim will do all the gear, He " LIKES " that stuff....

Jim...

Just about anything can be self-taught, with some focus and a supply of examples/information (Scubaboard/Youtube/Websites etc). Accomplishing the desired result is inevitably much slower without direct guidance and feedback, and there may be some safety issues when experimenting without supervision, but most people can get there in the end if conscientiousness...

However, sidemount is definitely one of those applications that benefits from direct guidance and feedback. This is especially true in regards to stuff like tank trim... where a 'second set of (educated) eyes' will spot problems (and solutions) that you will have a very difficult time identifying or appreciating for yourself.

That said, I did do a formal sidemount course... a very good one.... but still manage to (enjoy) tinkering and modifying my rig habitually. LOL

I am self taught with help from many folks online. I was stuck somewhere that no one had ever seen or hear of side mount, and I could not get instruction. I also had unlimited shore diving available to me. It is very doable, but it took a while of futzing and playing with setups, and my dive buddy videoing me so I could make adjustments. I would rather have paid someone to help me out and then been able to enjoy the many dives I spent putzing around.

Self taught. Depends on whether you enjoy the process or the result. I enjoy the process. This summer I decided to host a weekly skills/local dive night for our club. I figured at the same time I might as well challenge myself so I set out to tackle SM. I'd seen a Nomad at the Tacoma Dive Expo a couple of years ago and remembered the basic design so I made my own rig and jumped in! Having slung large stages the experience wasn't that foreign. Like others have said there's some tweaking, especially if you DIY it, probably streamlined hose routing is the biggest one for me, but at least it keeps me out of real trouble.

Yes, it's doable. It's the route I'm on.

The problem I had with instruction was that most instructors I spoke to offered the course, but didn't dive sidemount themselves outside of the course. That didn't sound right, so they were out.

Then I had a real hard time getting on with a couple of instructors who came across as "I am a diving god". I'm not going to be able to respect someone like that, so I won't learn. (I wonder if this is a side effect of the flack sidemount receives and "fashion" status it has in some circles)

Then there was the time / cost / location. 4 days midweek is a lot to a self employed man, even before you've added the course cost on. Plus a few nights accommodation as no-one was local and it was costing similar to doing MOD1 on a rebreather (5 days). Sorry but I don't think the two skills sets compare.

I really hope it becomes more mainstream, because my issues came down to lack of options. I have enjoyed teaching myself though. It takes longer, you make mistakes, but if you do it right you end up thinking through every aspect of your gear and why it's there. That's useful however you dive.

SM is not rocket science, especially for someone who has done a lot of BM. But, you can learn tips and techniques from more experienced folks, here on SB and elsewhere.

You said you had done a lot of BM! heh-heh...

To me the " FUN " part is working through the troubles... I love to learn why.... It is a special feeling to build a parachute from the starting point of a pencil drawing to a fully built jump-able rig.... To build and tune a drag car yourself and then do a 9sec pass.... And yes, To dive a side mount rig that you frigged out what you wanted and built it.... I " LOVE " having stuff you can't buy.... :cool2: So push yourself, But be safe and smart....:wink:

Jim...

Being an engineer, I like to futz... Drives my wife crazy sometimes. But she is really happy to have me go through all of her gear and have it tuned up and packed for her when we head out for a dive trip. :)
That's pretty much where Marci is at. While I have a magic hamper where I put my dirty clothes so they can materialize all ready to wear again in a day or two, she has a magic dive gear locker.

I taught myself. Started playing around with it when I was still in Arizona with a homemade rig. Bought a Nomad after moving to Florida and kept playing with it. It took me a few years to get things the way I want it. I still make changes every now and then but things are pretty much how I like them now. As an instructor I'm glad I self taught because I can pass all my trials and tribulations on to my students. But it would have been nice to have gotten all that in a weekend long class rather than over 2-3 years time.

Back
Top Bottom