Selfie sticks - for selfish selfholes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that if the divers with extensive dive AND photography experience were the only ones using these things, I would not be bothered by it.

Unfortunately, narcis-sticks or other pole extensions seem to be the tool of choice among inexperienced divers, who are the ones who should most be concentrating on their diving and not photography. Because it's so easy to grab a shot, users seem to forget about where they are sticking them. In their zeal to grab a selfie, they point the stick in the path of other divers in the group. Every time I have been on a small boat where a fellow diver had a pole extension, at some point I found myself feeling like saying "get that thing away from me." They also tend to be inexperienced photographers and so use the thing to get close-ups of animals that can border on harassment--swinging the camera to and fro and sticking the camera in the face of every animal they pass. Experienced macro photographers with the big cameras settle in to get a shot, and they're often masters of buoyancy and control--they never bother me.

I've seen folks stick them in holes chasing eels and swimming along side turtles with them jammed right up by their heads. I don't think in either of those instances they would have done that with a camera on a tray as it would have put their face too close to the action. It's really not the tool that's the issue, it's the driver.

I never really thought of it from a narcissism angle. For me it's more of a wildlife/reef harassment/damage issue and the stick (right or wrong) has become a bit of a badge for questionable behavior...

I'm trying to wrap my head around the relationship between a person taking selfies and a person being narcissistic.

Every time I have been to a place that tourists frequent, I have been hit up by people asking, "can you take a picture of me/us with my camera?" It never dawned on my that a person wanting to be in their picture/video was necessarily narcissistic.

How about people who don't dive with a camera but dive with photographers? If the diver is in the habit of posting nice pictures others have taken of them (onto facebook or something), do you consider those divers narcissistic also?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the relationship between a person taking selfies and a person being narcissistic.

Every time I have been to a place that tourists frequent, I have been hit up by people asking, "can you take a picture of me/us with my camera?" It never dawned on my that a person wanting to be in their picture/video was necessarily narcissistic.
. . .

I don't see anything narcissistic about having someone take your picture when you're at some kind of tourist site. I have done it on occasion, on both sides of the camera. What I observe with selfie-sticks is people taking MANY pictures of themselves. I just returned from a trip to some touristy sites in Europe, and so many people were seemingly walking around all day with the stick attached to their camera, snapping pics of themselves in front of everything they passed. The "problem" with selfie-sticks is it makes it so easy to snap a pic of yourself that you can easily find yourself taking dozens in a day. I can see how it might give others the impression of narcissism.

Does the stick actually help in stabilization? Shouldn't it amplify any hand movements instead since a small movement of the wrist results in a relatively larger movement of the GoPro? I don't know about selfish but for some reason the divers I've seen with these stick tend to be of poorer skill and compensate for their inability to get close to subjects with proper technique by shoving the stick at the subject.

I live in a very picturesque part of Victoria. During tourist season the sidewalk is packed with visitors. Mostly respectful and courteous but a handful insist on standing in the middle of a pedestrian crosswalk taking selfies in front of the Empress Hotel. If this was holding up my daily commute home from work I wouldn't care but when I see cars lined up because someone with a selfish stick is taking a picture in the middle of downtown traffic it gets me riled.

If they aren't in my way or disturbing the marine life with them, it's real simple: I couldn't care less what other people do. They can stick them up their backside for all I care.

This, above.

The head spins at the ridiculous smug superiority and self-righteousness expressed here. I have never, ever, been able to record myself in a dive, and I have done some quite thrilling and scenic ones. Now, I can, if I choose, have a memory that I could not have created before and keep for a lifetime. And your problem is . . . . . ??????

As for using an extension pole to place a very small camera closer to animals or in tight spaces, that is far less intrusive than swimming up to them in full gear, blowing bubbles, with a huge rig, which is almost guaranteed to scare off the animal. It is amazing what a difference 6 feet of space makes, when the huge, bulky, loud, bubbling object is that far away and the only thing close to the animal is a 2 inch by 2 inch box. This absolutely gives the ability to get different and dramatic close perspectives without disturbance. Like anything else, if it appears that placing the camera in this way disturbs the subject, then back it off, which applies to all photographers.

Oh, and, counter-intuitive though it seems, the pole does indeed help stablilze the image. The dampening effect of the water on the long pole with its much greater surface area and mass compared to the camera takes out pretty much all small vibratory movements--the most irritating for video. This is why a lot of pros mount their rigs on DPV's, same principle.

Sheesh, get a life, everyone.

I don't see anything narcissistic about having someone take your picture when you're at some kind of tourist site. I have done it on occasion, on both sides of the camera. What I observe with selfie-sticks is people taking MANY pictures of themselves. I just returned from a trip to some touristy sites in Europe, and so many people were seemingly walking around all day with the stick attached to their camera, snapping pics of themselves in front of everything they passed. The "problem" with selfie-sticks is it makes it so easy to snap a pic of yourself that you can easily find yourself taking dozens in a day. I can see how it might give others the well founded impression of narcissism.

Had to help. I have already made it known to my friends that if I take a selfie, they can put me out of my misery on the spot, and I would consider it a personal favor.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom