Selfie sticks - for selfish selfholes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you what pictures and videos of your vacation, you need a selfie stick.. If you want a vacation album that you're not in... You don't need one.. I have a home made stick that I can rotate the gopro to get any shot I want.. Without having to try and ask some diver on the reef to take a photo of the wife and me...

Jim...

I just think it's funny that the gopro poles seem to be now known as selfie sticks. Seems like the pole mounts were around a good long while before tweens got ahold of them and ruined their good name.

On land, or underwater, pole mounts and selfie sticks can be extreme irritants, useful tools or great entertainment. All depends on the person using the tool. I have witnessed all three.

Extreme irritant: The person who pays no attention to things and other divers around them. On my first ocean dive with my daughter (Grand Bahama), we moved off to a bit of sand bottom with no life of interest anywhere in sight. I just wanted a quick photo of my daughter. Low and behold someone's pole mount ended up at the bottom of the photo taking a picture of absolutely nothing. Thankfully, it could be edited out.

Useful tool: As others have mentioned, they are great for stabilizing an image underwater.

Great entertainment: On a recent trip to DisneyWorld, I very much enjoyed watching a guy at Downtown Disney so focused on his phone at the end of his extension pole that he walked right into a lamp post. Sure... I could have warned him, but I really wanted to see if it would actually happen. It did. The sticks are banned from the theme parks, but are allowed at Downtown Disney since there is no security checkpoint. And while injuries are regrettable, some people are just idiots in their quest for the perfect selfie: Bison attacks woman taking selfie in Yellowstone Park - CNN.com

Great entertainment: On a recent trip to DisneyWorld, I very much enjoyed watching a guy at Downtown Disney so focused on his phone at the end of his extension pole that he walked right into a lamp post. Sure... I could have warned him, but I really wanted to see if it would actually happen. It did.

So you were prepared to let the guy break his nose because it was entertaining to you? You gotta wonder who the real a$$holes are in this rotten world.

So you were prepared to let the guy break his nose because it was entertaining to you? You gotta wonder who the real a$$holes are in this rotten world.

yeah seriously... if you aren't gonna say anything and allow the person to be injured (for your entertainment) at least have the foresight to video tape the face/pole interaction for the rest of us.. So selfish!

I'm assuming you live in New Jersey, you are not actually from there.

Bob
-----------------------------
Has friends from New Jersey.

Well, as a selfish narcissist I have been using a pole mount for my go pro since pretty early on. I think the sad thing is that more people don't.
What you often see people doing with go pros is mounting them on helmets, chests, atop camera trays as an add on etc... and shooting run on one point perspectives. Then they post those with no editing and expect people to sit through 10 minutes of firehosing video... Ugh.

A pole mount allows you to shoot a lot of different perspectives that you can then edit into a more interesting video. Often in my videos people are part of the subject matter and, if I am solo, I am the person through which the viewer is experiencing the scene ie. they are seeing it from my perspective.

Here are two videos I have made recently, both with pole mounts. One is a dive video and the other a bike ride:

[video=youtube;BQ44tLC1lYQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ44tLC1lYQ[/video]

[video=youtube;gaxGMmuI4uU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxGMmuI4uU[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom