Semi missed safety stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm unaware of a "the sign for safety stop", where does that come from? Sounds like local practice to me.
Local as in? I'm in the western US and have been using it for I don't know how long. So long I can't remember where I learned it from.
Flexible and informative.
I would be interested in what others use. "next level" then "level off" then number of fingers for duration?

Never heard of, nor seen it. IMO it serves no purpose over "level" "3" (or 5,or 10, or whatever). It can also be confused with "turn pressure" (or "100").

If someone gave me that sign, I'd probably look at him and scratch my head. Not that there's much of a chance anyone would, but well.

Maybe I'm the one using local practice :idk:

Never heard of, nor seen it. IMO it serves no purpose over "level" "3" (or 5,or 10, or whatever). It can also be confused with "turn pressure" (or "100").

If someone gave me that sign, I'd probably look at him and scratch my head. Not that there's much of a chance anyone would, but well.

Maybe I'm the one using local practice :idk:

What sign do you use to indicate a safety stop?

What sign do you use to indicate a safety stop?

I form the words with my mouth on the pre-dive briefing. :)

All jokes aside we make a point of discussing this beforehand.

I am familiar with that safety stop sign, and I'll use it if someone wants me to, but I dislike it because it is inflexible. As Saniflush said, discussing the plan before the dive is the first step. Then, during the dive, if the plan is to stop (whether that's a real stop or a swimming "stop") at some depth, I would make a sign for "level off" and a numeric sign for the depth at which to level off. That way, there is no confusion if we want to stop at X depth for Y minutes, and then stop at some other depth for some other amount of time, etc. It's really handy for any multi-level dive.

I teach that safety stop sign, but tell students to make sure their buddy knows it. Only works if the two buddies know what they are telling each other. Totally agree with the need for a sign about leveling off at a certain depth is you want more off-gassing time or need to increase bottom time during a dive. Also, I teach a 5 minute safety stop due to more recent science on silent bubbles and the better elimination with a 5 minute safety stop. Agree with all previous post that it is a "safety" stop, but when one is doing multiple dives a day over multiple days, it's a very good practice. As they say, in this case "no harm no foul".

Rob

I'm unaware of a "the sign for safety stop", where does that come from? Sounds like local practice to me.
I don't think it's that local. I'm familiar with the thumb below the palm (followed by a numbers sign) to indicate ascent to a certain depth, and I've encountered the "tree fingers below the palm" sign more than once. And I'm located on the same side of the pond as you are.

There's a universal sign for "let me do my stuff and mind your own business", it consists in one finger up, with all others in a fist. Usually you leave the middle finger up.
:D

Honestly, that DM sounds like a real jerk, or incompetent, or both.

Does she actually think that holding hands is a good way of maintaining buddy contact? I hope not, bc so many problems could result from it.

Or was she just trying to make a very strong point about buddy contact by "embarrassing" you and making you hold hands? If so, her teaching style sucks -- and possibly put you in jeopardy.

Like others said, I would avoid her.

If something sounds completely wrong -- like this that put you at risk -- have the confidence to ignore a more experienced diver and do what your training has shown to be correct (I doubt any training suggests holding hands, or blowing safety stops for non-urgent issues)

You should make safety stops a habit, but with most of that dive at a shallow 12 meters -- pretty confident that you are fine.

Last edited:
I would make a sign for "level off" and a numeric sign for the depth at which to level off.

I do the same thing, but am aware of the other sign through SDI. I would not be shocked and surprised if someone made the three fingers under a line sign to me. This is also strictly open water. In cave diving we are always ascending slow and simply stop at 15-20', grab the O2 bottle, I then point to my computer and let my buddy know how long.

That DM is more of a hazard than missing the safety stop on that dive. Ditch that individual. I despise being led around by the nose by a dive guide or DM. So much more enjoyable to dive with only my buddy. No rush, no silt outs, no getting kicked in the face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom