Senior Citizens Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My "Daddy" is a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time diver. His is now 68 and in good health FOR 68. We went cavern diving this summer in Cancun. He had to have help getting his equipment down the steps (it was quite a way). Simply, he's just not in as good of shape as a 20, 30, 40, ect... Now that I noticed that, I see that he manages to "slyly" get someone to set his BC rig in the water or have someone get his tank somewhere. Always on the "sly". When should he quit diving? He really sucks down the air now too. I have almost 400 dives now and they are ALL with him. It's going to break my heart the first time I dive without him, but deffinately don't want him to dive if he can't handle it. I think I'll have to be the one that tells him it's time to stop. Don't EVER see him admitting it.

"I want in the water. Leave me alone." :help_2:

The issue of carrying his gear, etc., is one only you can answer. Is it a problem for you? If that is the way to get him in the water, I don't see a problem there unless it is a big problem to you. One of my buddies has to carry all her Mom's gear to the water's edge. Although it is a hassle, she doesn't mind.

The important point is how is he in the water. Okay, so he is sucking air... lung capacity usually diminishes with age. Is he safe in the water. Do you feel you have to be overly attentive while diving with him?

After all, Cousteau dove into his 80's and he wasn't exactly a physically strapping fellow. I hope to do the same.

He has not shown any signs of being unsafe in the water. I guess I am just overly cautious. Don't want something to happen and then someone say that I should have known. I just don't want him to get old. :eek:( No, I don't take extra care of him in the water. He is usually overly protective of me. (But he's my daddy.)
Thanks for the advice....... (that's what I wanted to hear too) ;o)

scubajoh44:
I think I'll have to be the one that tells him it's time to stop. Don't EVER see him admitting it.
Hell, 68 isn't old if you're in good physical condition! :D You don't have to tell him squat. He'll figure it out on his own (or not). I'm with Dr. Bill...I plan on diving into my 80s also, assuming I make it that far. :wink: Diving, along with the working out to be able to continue diving, is whats gonna keep him in good physical condition. Same could be said for all of us... No reason to stop until HE decides he wants to! IMHO...YMMV!

Yeah, I guess helping him with his tank is no big deal....except that he doesn't ask me. He will ask someone else when I am not paying attention. Now that I know, I just do it. I have LOTS of people comment on his age. I guess it's pretty cool though. GO DAD!

Bob3:
Heck, when the tanks get too heavy to handle, switch to a hookah!
That 1 gallon gas can is a whole lot lighter, and you can keep a couple folks down all day on a quart or 2.
hehehe

And that day is getting closer and closer.

Age has nothing to do with diving if you use your head. Your dad only has 9 years on me and twice a year I still have to pass the P.O.S.T. physical just to remain on the dive team.

Not only am I the "Old Man" on the team but not one of those snotty nose rookies was even born when I first got certified. The closest one was born 5 months after I got the NAUI card.

The sad thing is several on the team were either not born yet or out of day care when I started with this team.

Age? a figure of speech. I'm slowing down and getting ready to transfer the duties to the snotty noses as far as the Rescue side goes. Sport diving and some recovery dives will always be there until the air won't go in and back out on it's own.

68 and sport diving is a wonderful thing. Having someone pack gear for you is smart thinking on his part. Sucking a lot of air, who cares.

I not only have to pack my wife's gear but have to suit her up then toss her overboard. Then I get suited up and join her. When it's over I get out, get some of her gear off and she gets out. With her MS it's just a system we have come up with that works great. And by the way, she is already 60. :D

Gary D.

I am only 27 and would love to be able to find someone to haul my gear for me. :wink: Of course I have not found anyone willing to do that yet. I think it is great that he is still active and diving at his age. I would not worry as long as he is safe under water.

I dive with my dad as well and he isnt 68 he's only 39, and i have to lug his gear, although he does do a good job at funding me, lol, i see what you saying not wanting to see him stop, if my dad was to stop diving that would leave me in one big pickle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom