sense / nonsense of CO monitoring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The whole idea is well beyond my paygrade. I'm no chemist or anything similar, and I hope that one will give you an answer - here, or someplace else. You suggested idea is oversimplified I think.

For
mathImg.php
At room temperature, this reaction must be catalyzed. Details at https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/when-carbon-monoxide-combines-oxygen-what-produced-655293

CO is a potential fuel so it could be burned with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide, but not in a Nitrox situation.

....and that catalyst was already mentioned by @Wookie in post 9: hopcalite. Or in chemical terms: CuMn, Copper-Manganese.

The catalyst produces heat when converting CO into CO2. As long as the hopcalite remains free of moisture, it will do it's job theoretically forever.
Moisture-free is after the (MS-)filtration.

View attachment 586125 This is a ZE07-CO sensor connected to an arduino with an OLED display. With a box around it and a few lines of code you can build a CO analyzer for $15 to $20.
Cell lasts about 2 years and is replacable.
That's really neat! I had no idea CO censors were so cheap.

Have you considered making a combination CO + O2 sensor for rec nitrox use? Perhaps you could have 1 port into the machine, which forks to an O2 sensor on one side, CO sensor on the other, with each one dumping output to its own LED panel.

Back
Top Bottom