September in Catalina!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old_mike

Reaction score
jes' got back from the cool clear waters off of Frontside Catalina only 20 miles and a world away from LA-LA Land! We did two dives at a pinnacle called Ship Rock and a third dive at the no-take reserve called Blue Caverns. Surface Temps were in the high 60s and perhaps a bit cooler at 86 feet. Ship Rock is surrounded by 300+ foot depths and there's a lot of upwelling there. That means fish and lots of 'em! Juvenile mackerel, clouds of blacksmith, topsmelt, grunion, a 24" + kelp bass (wily devil!) and tons of garibaldi, senorita, gobies and more! Giant schools of the baitfish were hanging off the edge of the kelp in long, strung-out formations! All of a sudden the fish freak out and a sea lion appears in the distance. The sea lion makes a vertical dive at top speed straight down and vanishes into the blue depths. Most unusual for this dive was the relative lack of current at this normally current-swept site. Blue caverns is a vertical wall pocked with small caves. The wall bottoms out at around 78-90 feet. The wall itself is covered with kelp forest and tons of near-shore fish species. I found a juve garibaldi only 3/4 of an inch long all decked out in iridescent blue and orange and spent half an hour stalking it with my camera. I had to pretend i was a dead log in order to get it used to my presence. I had to get my flat port within 3 inches to get the shot! Man did i freeze my butt of sitting absoutely motionless for all that time! The trip cost $90.00 and included a BBQ with steak, salads, breakfast, unlimited drinks (no alcohol) and all the chips, dip and munchies a person could hope for! The crew presented ice cream and chocolate fudge brownies for dessert! The boat is celled the PAcific Dream: a 65 foot cat with a beam of 30 feet and man, that sucker hauls!!!! There is a spacious sun deck atop the galley and a 30 foot wide swim-step for exiting the water. The staff is top notch and help is always there when you exit the water all tired out after a nice hour-long dive! That is one great charter company! They are Atlantis Charters and their website is http://www.atlantischarters.com. Their website isn't always up to date but the service and amenities are phenomenal! go now while the water's warm and vis is good!!!

Mike,

(as if no one can tell ...hehe) Im on a hunt for those that have taken photos with their dives... Did you happen to snap a few during your dives?

=-)

King,

I'll be in Florida just after Christmas through the first week in Jan. I hope to get some good pics but you know how it goes. I'll let ya know once they're developed. Just wondering - what's your plan for the pics? Is there something new you'd like to let us in on?

Jennifer
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

i have some shots of the jackmackerel from that trip, and some blue banded gobies also from that trip. I am working on getting a really drop-dead gorgeous shot of the kelp forest. everytime i go out, the vis is not the best or the sun's in the wrong place or i have the flat port instead of the wide angle port, but as soon as i can, i will put together a package of shots that go with this trip report.

Mike,

Perfect, just say the word and if you like let me know when you are ready and I will post the articles and photos within the regular site if that sounds good to you!

=-)

i think Atlantis Charters may have gone belly up. They had some serious problems with their boat and their website has more or less stayed the same since last summer. Well, there is always the Great Escape, Sundiver, Encore, Psalty V and a bunch of others!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom