Serious damage to reef by freighter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's two anchorages off Ft. Lauderdale. This one is off of Ft. Lauderdale near Los Olas. I can't recall if it is between the second and third reefs, or beyond the third reef. I've done a search, but can't seem to locate a chart showing where they are.

Marc

The curious question is, what if there had been divers on that reef. I think my family would be looking for more than a reef cleanup if I'd been squashed by a freighter! They need to place a row of those WW2 ship mines outside the reefline. If your ship is headed for the reef, instead of destroying it, your ship ADDS to it. Of course there is the pollution to consider.
As for the damaged area, send a written request to the Coast Guard for a copy of the report, which is public information, or the co-ordinates of the damage if it's still pending investigation. They can also tell you if the area is under quarantine pending review, or if you are even allowed in the area. They are required to make note of it's location for the investigation and damage reviews. This from someone headed for the Coast Guard Auxilliary in a few weeks.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
The curious question is, what if there had been divers on that reef. I think my family would be looking for more than a reef cleanup if I'd been squashed by a freighter! They need to place a row of those WW2 ship mines outside the reefline. If your ship is headed for the reef, instead of destroying it, your ship ADDS to it. Of course there is the pollution to consider.
As for the damaged area, send a written request to the Coast Guard for a copy of the report, which is public information, or the co-ordinates of the damage if it's still pending investigation. They can also tell you if the area is under quarantine pending review, or if you are even allowed in the area. They are required to make note of it's location for the investigation and damage reviews. This from someone headed for the Coast Guard Auxilliary in a few weeks.

I was wondering the same question os to if there were any divers in the area at the time of grounding? If there wern't, how many diver's have experianced these freighters down there while diving? Scary thought to be down there diving and a ship of that size is coming right out you !!

Is diving even allowed inside the anchorages?

Here's a map of where the anchorages are. It looks like everyone keeps drifting away from where they are supposed to be.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom