serious question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beyond_Diving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't help but notice that a lot of people have stopped coming to Cancun . As of today, the newspaper reports that hotel occupancy is at 40%, which really means closer to 25-30%.
Now, my question is, how come? Is there something that you as a tourist would like to us (dive professionals) do - other than letting you dive for free for your entire vacation?
Is there any particular reason why you have stopped coming to cancun (hotel prices, ticket prices, etc).
In 15+ years since my family moved to Cancun I don't think I've ever seen it like this.
Let's see if we can get a dialog going here.

It's happening everywhere, not just Cancun ... there's this problem with the economy, perhaps you've heard?

I know there's a problem with the economy dude (you should have a look at my bank account. haha). I would just like to know if there are any other reasons...

The economy coupled with the bad press coming from Mexico paints not a rosy picture for potential travelers.

It's as bad at the hotels here in Hawai'i.

I am sorry to hear this. Not sure why, maybe the economy here in the US. Seems like air prices and hotel prices are stable. I know here in the US I have stopped eating out at many places and it's not the prices or the quality of the food, it's the service we get. It seems it has really plummeted. So, I say to myself, why should I go here to eat and get attitude from the server and bad service. For me, it is about service.

Everyone's pretty much hit the nail on the head. Economy, bad press (for both Mexico and the economy itself), unemployment rates, and bad service. Service at retail and restraunts around local towns are pretty low. Why should we go out when the expectation is to have bad service? This then translates to vacations also. It's a sad state of affairs but it's not something any one person can change.

This may be a time when good businesses prevail and bad businesses fail. Or at least we can hope.

It's the economy more than anything else. Most people rave about the service they get at the resorts, restaurants and dive shops in Mexico. As for the bad press, a few very ill informed people might confuse the boarder towns and the Riveria. They might be concerned about drug gangs, but not enough to explain the down turn in travelers. Same goes for the swine flue. We now have more cases in the US than MX. From what I understand, there have been no reported cases in Quintanaroo.
I'm sure you will see an uptick in business as the winter comes upon us, but I bet it will be down from years past. When the world economy comes back, so will the vacationers.
Good luck!
Me...I'll be there in a couple of weeks to do my best to help out. :wink:
PH

The economy coupled with the bad press coming from Mexico paints not a rosy picture for potential travelers.

BIG TIME the negative press. People seem to think there is a total war, with gunfire in the streets, and bullets flying everywhere.

- Livin' in AZ, 4.5mi N of Mexico

In 15+ years since my family moved to Cancun I don't think I've ever seen it like this.
Let's see if we can get a dialog going here.

But since you asked - what's the best dive op?

- Playa del Carmen Aprl 2010

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom