serious question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We feel very safe in the Roo (Akumal - Cozumel), in fact we're bringing our three young daughters next June. However; it's easy to keep the talk of crime and corruption to the North until the Cancun Police Chief gets arrested and a couple of cab drivers from Cancun turn up dead in Coz while trying to run from drug involvement. Even level headed objective observers are going to pay attention to those stories.

ANYPlace that relies on US tourism is hit currently. MX maybe hit a bit harder, but keep in mind that in Cancun the majority of the tourism is NOT divers.

If I were to travel it would NOT be Cancun, and I think the majority of divers would agree. I would do Coz, or the Cenotes.

That aside, even though I have a job, I contract, and the market is so poor that I fear that if/when I loose this one, it maybe a while before finding the next....

However I did do a live aboard in Aug in CA. So one other reason I am not heading to MX is because I would rather promote the US economy as we kinda need to keep revenue in house so to speak.

I agree with all that has been written above, but there's something else that hasn't been mentionned yet
in this thread: there are trends in tourist destinations, just like in the fashion industry.

I don't know if Acapulco was ever "in" for Americans, but 20-or-so years ago it was THE place to go
for us Europeans. Nowadays here in France you never see an ad for a package to Acapulco.
That's not to say that nobody goes there anymore, just that it's not as popular as it used to be.

As far as Cancun goes… I guess I would have loved it before they decided to turn it into a resort destination
in the 70s. The first time I was there was in 1998 and it was already way too built up for me to like it.
From what I read on the Internet, they are still adding more concrete, making these huge towers to house expensive hotels and condos. And the place is packed with spring breakers. And a room in these new,
high rise buildings, costs over USD100…
Sounds more and more like Miami…

As far as I'm concerned, if I want to go to Miami, I go to Miami.
If I want to go to Mexico, I DON'T go to Cancun.

From what I observe (and I have no credential whatsoever in the tourism field, just personal opinion), destinations that can survive the trends and last over decades (the Chanels and Nikes of tourism, if you will) are the ones that manage to keep a strong, unique identity. It could be the beauty of their architecture, their innovative party scene, their relaxed lifestyle, their amazing lanscapes, their cultural diversity, their healthy reefs…

Sure, an international airport, short flight times, cheap packages, great climate and beautiful water help boost tourism. But places who don't have more than that to offer are more vulnerable than others to "becoming another Acapulco".

Mexico and Quintana Roo have everything : great people, food, landscape, architecture, ruins, diving, culture…
But Cancun itself ???

I can't help but notice that a lot of people have stopped coming to Cancun . As of today, the newspaper reports that hotel occupancy is at 40%, which really means closer to 25-30%.
Now, my question is, how come? Is there something that you as a tourist would like to us (dive professionals) do - other than letting you dive for free for your entire vacation?
Is there any particular reason why you have stopped coming to cancun (hotel prices, ticket prices, etc).
In 15+ years since my family moved to Cancun I don't think I've ever seen it like this.
Let's see if we can get a dialog going here.

Sorry for the hard times you are going through, Vrykolakas. I do hope it gets better for you soon.
I'm guessing you can't do anything at city level to make the officials realise that by allowing more and more construction on this beautiful coast, they're killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

As an individual and professionnal, though, you can "be the best you can be", as they say, and try to find
a niche that hasn't yet been developped.
No matter how bad the economy, there will always be a market for those who offer something outstanding, whether it's cheap rates, super friendly customer service, hard to find rental equipment…

Good luck.

Last edited:
I believe, as many have already said, that the poor economy is the main reason for the long down turn. One thing to remember though is that even when the economy improves, it is unlikely to return to the strong level of activity that was humming along prior to the crash, at least not for several years. Business was geared to that high level but that high level won't be returning anytime soon which means all the surviving businesses will be fighting over a smaller pie. The smart businesses are doing everything they can to cut costs, improve service and innovate so that they are well positioned to get the biggest piece of the new, smaller pie. Don't dwell on what was but concentrate on what is and you will not only survive but can emerge as a stronger, better competitor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom