Seriously, though... you're wearing your weights too high

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My annual dues to Dassault preclude giving my CAD away. That said, I’m not really sure it would be of any use anyhow. The geometry is pretty simple and gcode is machine specific.

My annual dues to Dassault preclude giving my CAD away. That said, I’m not really sure it would be of any use anyhow. The geometry is pretty simple and gcode is machine specific.
I was just trying to be lazy and not fire up fusion :)

That big mojammy is definitely overkill as a trim weight.

When I get home (I'm out of town right now) I'll try to remember to take a picture of what we use. It's basically just a 2lbs v-weight with 6" or so of webbing screwed into the "flat" side with a hole melted into the webbing.

It's just enough to correct trim struggles without needing to swim around with the wing fully inflated for those who don't really need the ballast to sink.

When I get home (I'm out of town right now) I'll try to remember to take a picture of what we use. It's basically just a 2lbs v-weight with 6" or so of webbing screwed into the "flat" side with a hole melted into the webbing.

It's just enough to correct trim struggles without needing to swim around with the wing fully inflated for those who don't really need the ballast to sink.
Depends on your overall weight needs. With a drysuit and double al80s I need about 14lb and a SS plate.

If I’m diving double 133s I use 8lb.

That weight comes in at about 12 lbs and it gets the weight as low as possible. For around here in 48F saltwater it’s not too heavy. That said, when I make these for people I tell everyone I’ll trim it down to whatever they want ; most people around here stay over 8 lbs. Its easier to cut them down on the bandsaw than it is to add weight back on :wink:.

I’m probably going to make inserts I can put in the mold to drop the weight in 1lb increments

With empty tanks?

Can't say fully empty because I follow rules of thirds but based on how it feels I would still be heavy with 500 psi left.

Test it. That’s the only way to know.

I can tell also by the amount of air left in the wing when I descend. If I empty all the way I sink to fast to keep up with ears and drysuit. I'm overweighted.

I can tell also by the amount of air left in the wing when I descend. If I empty all the way I sink to fast to keep up with ears and drysuit. I'm overweighted.
Faber 3442psi 100s are about a half pound negative when empty. PSTs are a little heavier, about a pound each.

So say 2lbs for the tanks, 1st stages are only lb or so each, bands weight about 3lbs. So like 7lbs? Plate is variable but generally 1lb for like an aluminum up to 6 or so for a steel.

13lbs maybe? Could be 15? Drysuit + undergarment is almost for sure more than 13 positive.

A thousand psi in hp100s weighs about 6lbs.

Unless you’re built like Ronnie Coleman and sink wearing just a drysuit, and it’s time to drain those tanks and figure out what’s really goin on.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom