Service cost comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the required annual inspection FOC?

not typically. You MAY get it for free if you buy new from the same LDS that is doing the service, but if you go somewhere that you didn't buy the reg, no way they'll do it for free

parts for life is an industry joke to get people to buy new and force regs back onto the bench before they really need it. Same thing with VIP's

My advice is to buy an IP gauge and be very diligent about your post dive care (long soak) of whatever reg you decide on. After starting to service my own (and wife's) is was very apparent that my after-dive regime of a quick rinse/soak wasn't doing much if anything to prolong my service intervals - especially if you buy a used not-so-pristine reg set. Your IP behavior will give a very good indication of when your regs need some attention. Servicing either (piston or diaphragm) isn't particularly hard (I find diaphragm to be easier) - service manuals are available online but you may need a specialty tool or 2 depending on what brand your get. Finding service kits, again depending on the make/model are likely to be the only actual challenge but kits are out there and there are hoarders (*cough*cough* couv, buddha, herman) that likely have the parts or the knowledge to suggest an equivalent/work around if you run into an impasse.

AQ Legend is a great reg. I do think that free parts for life (FPFL) is a good deal and worth looking at if you dive enough. Im not sure about AQ but Hollis has free parts for life program which is awesome because if you dont get your reg services at regular intervals, it does not permanently void your FPFL. It can be reinstated as long as you can prove that the reg has been serviced in the last 2 years.

Example: buy Hollis reg. bring in for service 3 years later (outside FPFL) so you pay full price for service. But now your FPFL is valid for another 2 years again.

Again, not sure about AQ, but for many brands, you permanently void FPFL programs if you cant provide proof of regular service intervals from date of original purchase.

One of the things that I'm trying to look at when deciding on a new regulator is the service costs associated with it.

I am looking at either a Aqualung Legend LX or a scubapro MK25. One is a diaphragm and the other is a piston. Should I expect the Piston MK25 to have a lower service cost over the diaphragm? Or would I shop probably charge a flat rate for all regulator annual services?

One thing to look at is the LDS that will be doing the service. Where I use to work at there was a Scubapro shop and an Aqualung shop. The prices on services varied between the 2 shops. If the shop is combined it might not matter.

Reading through threads on "sevice intervals" and "when to service" etc, I find it interesting that it seems to be mostly instructors tell people that regular service intervals aren't important.
Being a regulator technician, i found that when our instructors did bring in regs they were in terrible shape. So much so that we had to institute a new policy stating that they would no longer get the staff rate (free labor, discounted parts) if the reg wasnt brought in at least annually.

Reading through threads on "sevice intervals" and "when to service" etc, I find it interesting that it seems to be mostly instructors tell people that regular service intervals aren't important.
Being a regulator technician, i found that when our instructors did bring in regs they were in terrible shape. So much so that we had to institute a new policy stating that they would no longer get the staff rate (free labor, discounted parts) if the reg wasnt brought in at least annually.

one important differentiation to make is that most of the instructors that don't recommend following the intervals are tech instructors, and the rest are tech divers. We tend to be quite diligent about taking care of our gear, typically much more so than most recreational instructors

one important differentiation to make is that most of the instructors that don't recommend following the intervals are tech instructors, and the rest are tech divers. We tend to be quite diligent about taking care of our gear, typically much more so than most recreational instructors
That's fair. Our shop didnt teach tech. Many of our staff were in the water enough that it seemed like much of their gear never fully dried out. Much less given thorough post dive care.

Please describe “terrible shape”

I think this is also a testament to how robust most modern regulators are. They still work fine even when the internals are in a state that a tech might describe as "terrible".

It isn't just instructors, it is also those who think they know a lot about regs, but really don't know all that much. Before I became a technician I used to go long periods between servicing - this is when I lived in the tropics and dived a lot. The technicians always griped because of the condition of the reg when it was serviced. The reality was, it should have been serviced once or twice per year rather than the recommended interval of two years. With all that being stated, I have noticed many divers will believe the DM/Instructors in the tropics simply because they have the title - don't always believe them.

Please describe “terrible shape”
Lots of mineral build up on the inside and outside of the first and second stages, o-rings that have dried up making it difficult to remove, sand on the inside that rub holes in a diaphragm and then the owner gripes because they have to pay for a new one, seashells in the second stage, ignored frayed hoses that are covered up by the hose protector, creeping IP/MP or poor inhalation effort, shredded o-ring in the first stage (yes I've seen that happen), and the list goes on. Build of corrosion is the big one.

I think this is also a testament to how robust most modern regulators are. They still work fine even when the internals are in a state that a tech might describe as "terrible".
Yes, they are, however, don't let that be an excuse to not service or to encourage others that regs can go a long periods between servicing. The performance of the reg does diminish when not serviced. Normally people don't notice the lack of performance as time goes along since it is a slow process. When I went long periods between servicing I never noticed, but when I used it after servicing I could tell a significant difference.

Whenever a person tells me regs can go longer than the recommend interval I simply ask them how much longer in terms of time and number of dives. None of those people have been able to give an answer. The manufactures have given a time line based off of past experience. The recommended interval isn't perfect, yes, you can go longer, but how much longer and how does one, who is not knowladgeble and experienced with regulators (i.e. most recreational divers), know when it has gone long enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom