Servicing gear question (how often if I don't dive much)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immense

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Turks and Caicos trip coming up in July of this year and have not dived in a while (3+ years). I had my gear serviced about a year ago and plan on having it serviced again before this trip even though I have not used it. My question is about the regularity of servicing it. Since I do not dive much, is it ok that I only service it when I plan to use the gear? I have had my LDS tell me that it must be done every year but I just dont see the point if I don't plan on using it?

I am also going to do a refresher course before the trip to get re-acquainted with the gear & dive safety.

Here is my setup:
BC: Scubapro Nighthawk
Regulator: Scubapro MK25 first stage / S555 second stage
Computer: Scubapro (UWATEC) Aladin Prime 3

Any advice is appreciated.

Since you have already missed a Scubapro required annual service, your Scubapro limited warranty is now void. Other than the extra $$ you paid to have that warranty, this is probably a good thing as you can stop wasting $$ on unnecessary service.

The worst time to have your gear serviced is just before a trip. Service errors are all too common so gear should be thoroughly inspected and tested after a service before you take it on a trip.

I would expect that your gear, if it was stored properly, is just fine and does not need an "annual service". But you do need to inspect it or have it inspected before your trip.

My wife and I dive U.S Divers Conshelf XIV supreme's that I bought online as new old stock.... It was made in 1978 and sat around for 33 yrs before I got it... Total Rebuild on the wives and on mine I cleaned and reused all the old o-rings and flipped the seat in the 2nd stage.... They both breath perfect.... :wink:

Your LDS is full of it.... :shakehead:

Jim...

No you don't have to have that particular brand service every year if you are not diving it . Just have it serviced a month or two before your trip and test it and dive it even if it just in a pool just to make sure everything is alright.

From a safety perspective ( that is the real concern here ) I'd be more worried about diving skills and comfort in the water then whether my rig has gone bad from sitting in storage a year. Not that there isn't a chance but the former is far more likely.

The solution is simple: Dive Local

Skip the "refresher". This is only a couple hours in a pool and is a band aid for the real problem: not being active.

Find a local buddy, go over your equipment, refresh the mind, refresh the body. Get several hours of diving in and then do it again the next day or the next week or the next month. You'll be a better diver, you'll know your equipment works, you'll have fun and then when you go on your vacation it won't be but a thing.

Have fun and hope to see you around.

+1 on the rusty diver.... And you have a GREAT offer from chrpai to help you get the cobwebs out.... :wink:

Jim....

check with your lds or any scubapro dealer and see if the free parts for life warranty is still in effect for you gear. The LDS can go online to scubapro and check it for you. If it is the deal now is get it serviced every other year and just inspected on the off year. An inspection should only cost $20.-$25. If you are a regular customer of the LDS the inspection may be a no charge thing.Its up to the LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom