Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are videos to help. vintage double hose has videos for scubapro mark V and conshelf regulators. video is conshelf XIV but same for all up to Legend regulator. scubapro similar to Mark 10. and practically all copies which includes most balanced piston regulators.

Here's 1 i found for HOG first stage,too. D2 , same as Deep 6 Excursion regulator. There is a turreted regulator looks similar and probably not too different from D2 except for added turret. .

DGX regulator , and diverite first stage seem to appear very similar to each other and similar to the d2 with a turret added.

$500 for a two day course like this would be a steal. Count me in if you get one going and if I can actually travel from Canada to the US by then.
P,

Without sounding critical or negative, $500. would be a steal, if you could steal it!

I dive with Poseidon, have since the beginning. Having said that, I do have 4 sets of DGX version Deep 6 regs that are a few years old now. DGX has since switched over to their own house brand, which is pretty much the same thing.

My point being, how much money are you going to spend on a $100. second stage, and a $150. first stage.

I function/flow/IP test all my regulators prior to each dive trip, and as far as the Deep 6 regs are concerned, any sign of degradation I identify in my pre-checks, the regs are permanently retired/scrapped!

It is far less expensive to replace this type of regulator (made in Taiwan/manufactured under numerous brand names), than it is to continually service them.

Speaking only for myself, my time is far too valuable, to start servicing $100. regulators.

IMHO,

Rose

I function/flow/IP test all my regulators prior to each dive trip, and as far as the Deep 6 regs are concerned, any sign of degradation I identify in my pre-checks, the regs are permanently retired/scrapped!

It is far less expensive to replace this type of regulator (made in Taiwan/manufactured under numerous brand names), than it is to continually service them.
Fair enough, although for people that dive in remote locations there can be benefits other than saving money to being able to do simple regulator repairs.

Fair enough, although for people that dive in remote locations there can be benefits other than saving money to being able to do simple regulator repairs.
I've dove most of the worlds waters, always with my own gear. I always bring spares. To me, if it needs service on vacation, it probably needed service before vacation, and should have been attended to then.

I do agree with your comment.

I don't keep/collect old dive gear. All dive gear is consumable with a finite life. and I have never hesitated to replace components to keep everything fresh.

All the best,

Rose

P,

Without sounding critical or negative, $500. would be a steal, if you could steal it!

I dive with Poseidon, have since the beginning. Having said that, I do have 4 sets of DGX version Deep 6 regs that are a few years old now. DGX has since switched over to their own house brand, which is pretty much the same thing.

My point being, how much money are you going to spend on a $100. second stage, and a $150. first stage.

Speaking only for myself, my time is far too valuable, to start servicing $100. regulators.

IMHO,

Rose
I
I appreciate your point of view and understand that self-servicing regulators isn’t for everyone and doesn’t make sense for some. To be clear, I was commenting on the relative value of this course compared to similar offerings and not the value of servicing your own gear vs replacing cheap regs over the same time period. If you’re not interested in servicing regulators then I suppose this is not a great deal for you at any price. For those interested in servicing regulators the cost of this course, compared to what you get out of it, blows other “service tech” courses out of the water. I respectfully disagree that it’s less expensive to replace regs (even cheap ones) than to service them in the long run, especially if you own and dive multiple sets frequently and only service them when you need to (not annually or whatever some manufacturers suggest). I suppose if you dive the cheapest reg you can find, don’t care about certain “must have” features, and can stretch them for 4-5 years before scrapping, then the cost is not that different and you could save some money under certain circumstances (how’s that working out with your Poseidon btw?). But I don’t fall in that category and saving money on service is not my primary objective. Besides, for some of us working on regs is an enjoyable hobby, so it’s worth our “valuable time”.

$77 for three service kits.
And it's $440 for two 2nds and a 1st, that's some value you're putting on your own time. Even if you paid someone to service them you'd still be a mile in front.

P,

IMHO,

Rose
One more thought. Suppose you run the DGX reg you referenced for $250 (actually $300+) until it fails, let’s say 3-5 years. Wouldn’t it be cheaper to have someone else service it (surely much less than $250-300 including kits unless you’re getting robbed) and get another 3-5 years out of it than to buy a new one every time? Good service brings a reg back to “new” so should get same millage over time as replacement.

And it's $440 for two 2nds and a 1st, that's some value you're putting on your own time. Even if you paid someone to service them you'd still be a mile in front.
The whole “replace rather than service”
argument only wins out when you compare buying a new cheap reg after 5 years of NO service compared to paying for service EVERY year for 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom