Setting up protune for gopro 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pajjpen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, I need some advice on setting up my gopro 4 for protune. Which white balance settings do you guys use? Leave it on auto and still manually white balancing the shots in post production or do you leave it at flat and still manage to get proper color correction going in post?
would love to hear from you guys, also any other setting etc that might be useful.

Auto WB with protune is horrible, set it to cam raw and apply some post processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auto WB with protune is horrible, set it to cam raw and apply some post processing.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alright, I've never actually shot raw with video lights before, would they have some sort of influence on the post processing? Might be a silly question but I'd rather ask it before I shoot the footage than having all the footage ruined hehe.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2015 at 05:29 PM ----------

Oh and one more thing, setting it to raw is just turning off wb and setting color to flat yeah? New to the gopro 4s

Depends on your postprocessing. The main point with shooting in native color balance is to have constant WB along your timeline. Otherwise your WB will vary depending on how large fraction of the frame your lights cover. That's a major PITA.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I have a 3 so I'm not sure how to set raw on the 4+. I do a few basic things to the raw video (adobe Premiere Elements).

1. Add some sharpening
2. Add some contrast
3. Increase the blacks (which makes the darks darker)

It takes about 30 seconds.

Depends on your postprocessing. The main point with shooting in native color balance is to have constant WB along your timeline. Otherwise your WB will vary depending on how large fraction of the frame your lights cover. That's a major PITA.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug
Thing is I'll only use my lights when shooting close ups. So perhaps turning white balancing back on auto when shooting with lights is the way to go? Thought on that?

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2015 at 11:07 PM ----------

I have a 3 so I'm not sure how to set raw on the 4+. I do a few basic things to the raw video (adobe Premiere Elements).

1. Add some sharpening
2. Add some contrast
3. Increase the blacks (which makes the darks darker)

It takes about 30 seconds.

I'm perfectly aware of how to do post processing :) do u not white balance your footage? Must look pretty pale without that, especially if ur shooting raw.

Thing is I'll only use my lights when shooting close ups. So perhaps turning white balancing back on auto when shooting with lights is the way to go? Thought on that?
IMO, it's a personal preference.

Myself, I come from still photography, shooting in raw. I hate not having full control of the PP process, so constant WB is almost required for me; I fix it all in post. I hate variable WB with the intensity of a thousand suns...

IMO, it's a personal preference.

Myself, I come from still photography, shooting in raw. I hate not having full control of the PP process, so constant WB is almost required for me; I fix it all in post. I hate variable WB with the intensity of a thousand suns...
Do you have your color set to "gopro color" or "flat?

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2015 at 08:56 PM ----------

Has anyone tried messing around with the ISO? I read about some guy who recommended it set to 400 but I don't really have the opportunity to try it out until I leave for my holiday (hence all the questions)

Last edited:
Do you have your color set to "gopro color" or "flat?
WB: GoPro Native
Color: Flat
Hero4 Silver

Since I come from raw format still shooting, I try to preserve as much as possible of the sensor signal and rather add the "oomph" in post. There's no problem adding an S curve or increasing contrast in post to get more "snap". Recovering blown highlights or shadows, not so much.

WB: GoPro NativeColor: FlatHero4 SilverSince I come from raw format still shooting, I try to preserve as much as possible of the sensor signal and rather add the "oomph" in post. There's no problem adding an S curve or increasing contrast in post to get more "snap". Recovering blown highlights or shadows, not so much.
Think ima go with those settings aswell, at 30 fps. I will however use my lights for closeup even with native color on (it would be a bitch to turn that on and off during the dive) hopefully it'll turn out good enough :) I'll try to remember this post when I get back and share some before and after clips. Leaving for the Maldives on Thursday��

---------- Post added October 4th, 2015 at 02:11 AM ----------

Oh btw, do you have any trouble color correcting shots that aren't close ups when shooting raw? I've had some problems with noisy footage after doing too much adjusting, while doing less produces colors I'm not quite happy with. I remove as much of the grain as I can without loosing any information but it doesn't seem to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom