Several Maldives Liveaboard Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shocked

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,

My wife and I are going on the MV Orion in a couple of weeks and I have a few last minute questions maybe some of you can help me with.

1) I have a pretty serious disorder (tether to work..) where I need to have internet access on a regular basis.. The boat does have some internet access when at port or near port, which is not very often. They suggest I buy a data SIM card at the airport and that I will get more (and faster) access with that. Do any of you guys have any experience with internet in the Maldives (on a boat). I see that companies rent a "BGAN" system.. but it requires the boat to be pretty stationary and is crazy expensive. I do have my own satellite phone.. but it does not really work for the internet.. they say it will do 56k (which is amazingly slow) but I have never even been able to get that.

2) Water temp. My wife thinks 86 degree water requires a full 3mm with a vest over it. Should I get her a 5mm? Gloves? She hates hoods and will not wear one. I liked the idea of the heated vests, but the reviews have horror stories of people getting burned badly when they short out (you cant really take them off while diving).

Thank you for reading and let me know if any of you have any thoughts.

Thanks

I can't help you with your Internet connectivity questions (I go to the Maldives to disconnect :)) but I could potentially answer some exposure questions.

I've been to the Maldives a number of times (always land-based) and I usually dive in a shorty or a 3mm - no vests or hoods required. Temperatures during my trips varied between 26-28C (79-83 F). People have different tolerances to cold but for the majority, 30C (86F) water does not need anything more than a rash guard (maybe a 3mm if one's doing several dives a day). The dive operators I've dived with in Maldives strongly discourage gloves.

I was on the emperor Voyager earlier this summer.. they had a shared internet wifi on the boat for €20 for the week. Connectivity was quite good pretty much the whole week for emails and whatsapp messaging. A couple of service interruptions in a few spots but overall i was quite impressed with data coverage during the cruise. The water was quite warm.. i was more than happy with a 5mm full wetsuit.. hood not required in my opinion. Only 3 dives on most days and 1 night dive so you have plenty of surface time to warm up.. it was a great trip..lots of sharks & Mantas.... highly recommend Maldives ! Have fun !

Also.. i would avoid gloves as it encourages divers to touch the coral. Saw some divers on another boat with gloves and they were quite "handsy" with the reefs :(
You will need a reef hook which is great to hang out in the currents.

Thanks for the input! Don't worry, we are not "touchy" people.. I just wondered because several of the maldives reef hook videos I have been watching, people are bundled up with hoods and gloves. I did buy us a set of reef hooks, so we are good there.

Side question, I have been shopping for SMB's.. I like the kind that are open at the bottom so I can just squirt some air off my second into it and go.. but I am having a hard time finding that style. Anyone have any suggestions? (I am in the US).

Thanks again!

I would have thought you'd be spoilt for choice.

I used to have a HOG open ended SMB - check them out at home. A quick search also revealed that DGX are doing OMS open-ended SMBs (OMS Alert Markers - Open Bottom | Dive Gear Express®). I'm sure there are plenty more.

Thank you.. maybe I need to work on my googling.. I looked on amazon, at the local shops and some of the big discount online dive places...

Thank you :)

SMB(self-sealing) with a dump valve will hold air a lot better than a open end one.

Was there in Jan 2016.

Internet access depends on the route and dive locations chosen by the ship, but 3G data is usually decent on the regular Maldives routes. Each resort usually has its own cell tower and most dive sites are within sight of one resort or another, so you usually have 3G data. 3G data is unreliable only when traveling between the atolls, where you may be too far from any cell tower to have 3G or even cell coverage. Usually fine once you get to a dive site. Definitely buy a data SIM when you arrive at the airport. 3G speeds are good enough for email, facebook, etc. Just wouldn't try streaming HD video with it.

For water temps, I typically dive a 3mm full suit even in 85 degree water too. However, due to lack of rental suits, I ended up diving a 3mm shorty the entire time I was in the Maldives and was fine. Waters are pretty warm there. Most people I dived with only had rash guards. 5mm sounds extreme even to me. Would suggest gloves though, as depending on the dive profile and current, you may find yourself having to climb across the ocean floor rather than finning against current.

The waters are warm there, but when I was on my liveaboard I got cold towards the end of the trip & added a vest to my full 3mm. I now travel with a 3mm, a vest & a 5mm to all warm water locations. Wet suits aren't that pricey. If your wife thinks that 86 requires a 3mm & a vest, it doesn't hurt to bring along a 5mm as well so she can take her pick especially towards the end of the trip when she'll probably start to feel a little colder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom