Shadow Divers – Exposed U 869

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purcellj:
Kohler and Chatterton have done some great things as well. But they also happen to be pretty big into the self promotion.

Have you been smoking crack or something? I have never seen either Kohler or Chatterton promote themselves. Are you mis-guided about "Shadow Divers"? They didn't write that book. If it wasn't for Robert Kurson (the author of the book) 99% of us would have never heard about either man or the U-869. If it wasn't for Kohler being vocal and trying to track down family members of the sub's crew, the major news networks wouldn't have picked up to story, and NOVA probably wouldn't have made a show about their dscovery.

Maybe you should read the book before you comment.

FD

Gary Gentile has been outspoken for quite some time. No one debates his status as a diver. But why does he have to be a sore loser. You've been flamed and fired off boats and proven to be an exaggerator and presenting incidents in a manner that makes you look good and everyone else bad many times before.
What I don't quite understand is why people read books as they are fact and history is being written. Even 'history' textbooks are constantly revised, or should be revised. What should be noted is the passion and pain of a dedicated group. What Kohler did was beyond any measure of what could be expected, even from decent human beings... Gentile should spend more time acknowleding great acts from great fellow divers, as he himself is, and many people have pointed out on his behalf...
just my dos pesos
Eric

fire_diver:
Have you been smoking crack or something? I have never seen either Kohler or Chatterton promote themselves.

Fire Diver,
You are incredibly gullible.

I guess you missed ALL of the episodes of Deep Sea Detectives. And you might have a tough time tracking down John and Richie due to their appearance schedule.

You accuse me of not reading Shadow Divers. Where do you think Kurson got his facts from? Yet how many here have read Exposed? I'm not defending either side of this.

I think most should shut the h*ll up, read the book, then comment. From what I have heard about Exposed (from someone who did read it), Gary has others tell the story.

Now I'm going to follow my own advice, shut the h*ll up and read the book.
John

Just read this post...I have read Dark Descent, Fatal Depth, Last Dive and Shadow Divers. I plan now to read Gentile's book. But it does sound like...from some of the quotes... that Gary sounds really accusatory. I'm just wondering what Gary actually had to do with the discovery and ID of the U-869? I have never read anything that states he did. I may be mistaken. Is it not true that Chatterton is the one who discovered the sub? Is it not true that he and Kohler did years of research and took tremendous risks diving the sub? I have been diving with John and Richie and found them to be very down to earth and very approachable people with anyone they met irregardless of anyone's dive experience. They gladly spent time with anyone who wanted to spend time with them and I never saw one instance of them being snobish. But I will give Gary's book a read. I still wonder what role he played in the location and ID of the sub?

rawls:
Just read this post...I have read Dark Descent, Fatal Depth, Last Dive and Shadow Divers. I plan now to read Gentile's book. But it does sound like...from some of the quotes... that Gary sounds really accusatory. I'm just wondering what Gary actually had to do with the discovery and ID of the U-869? I have never read anything that states he did. I may be mistaken. Is it not true that Chatterton is the one who discovered the sub? Is it not true that he and Kohler did years of research and took tremendous risks diving the sub? I have been diving with John and Richie and found them to be very down to earth and very approachable people with anyone they met irregardless of anyone's dive experience. They gladly spent time with anyone who wanted to spend time with them and I never saw one instance of them being snobish. But I will give Gary's book a read. I still wonder what role he played in the location and ID of the sub?

answers to your questions don't matter, cause he's gone and sold another book it appears. That's the intention of the thread and the inflamatory comments.

so where can this book be found locally?
dennis?

Chaseh:
answers to your questions don't matter, cause he's gone and sold another book it appears. That's the intention of the thread and the inflamatory comments.

Chaseh...I can't say I disagree with you on that one. Haven't ordered the book yet. Saw it was $25.00. Not sure it's worth spending that much. Can't get my Barnes and Noble discount like I did with Shadow Divers:)

Well I'm on chapter 5 at the moment and can honestly say that I've been enjoying this book and think others will find it a worthwhile read. Before anyone goes on about how Gary is "jealous" or "mad" or whatever, please read the book. He tends to let others tell the tail. If you're too cheap to spend the $25, wreckdivingbooks.com has it for $22.50. The appendices alone are worth the cost (well, unless you already have some u-boat research books sitting on your shelves... which I do but still find this information useful).

I'd be more than interested to find out whose diving chops were stolen.Shadow Divers was to the best of my recollection very accurate in who did what.I guaranty I have more dives on the wreck (not breaking 60') then anyone (safety diver). Seriously I was at least on the scene for the whole saga and regardless of content Gary won't get my $25 this time. The press releases are way too sensational for my tastes. Although I was Amused with the self promotion accusation. I think the one time we were introduced I was told he was Mr. Self Promotion (his friends not fellow crew). So his whole song and dance is at least disturbing.So somebody post the names of the poor souls who were robbed of their credit I'm dying to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom