Shadow Divers: John Chatterton's Interview with ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, why did I only find this thread now??? I guess I wasn't spending enough time on the board back in Dec and early this year. Like everyone else has mentioned it has been amazing to be able to read through this thread and get such amazing insight from JC. I was filpping through the tube a few years ago and stumbled across the DSD series, got hooked on that, then saw an advertisement for SD and immediately ordered it along with deep descent, and the last dive. SD was by far the best, but I devoured all three.

John, I think you get the point, but I've gotta say thank you!! I've been reading through some other threads recently and Richie has also started dropping in with some of his insight. TSandM now has a great quote from him.

There's no way one can quantify the impact you guys have had on our sport, so once again, THANK YOU. Hopefully you both will keep dropping into the board from time to time to enlighten us.

John I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you at BTS this weekend. As usual you were as gracious as ever taking time to sign anything in sight. Come to think of it I should have gotten you to sign my billboard I mean shirt.
Bobboard Marks

Well heck, I missed both of you guys!

I DID meet NetDoc, Muggsy, and HowardE at the SB booth...

I just finished Shadow Divers. I am not a history buff. I don't know much about WWII, or U-boats. So this book was just eye-opening for me! I found the suspense in the research, as much, if not more than, the diving.

I purchased The Last Dive at the same time. I'm not going to bother reading it after reading Shadow Divers.

This book, along with all the incident reports, etc., go to show that we really do not know what causes leading to the deaths of divers who perish while underwater. The part in the book where the dad dies at the surface was telling and poingant.

I probably will not read Gary's book. And I will pass along Shadow Divers to non-divers for the U-Boat history lessons.

Last dive is a great book. I've met Bernie a few times and he is a very nice guy. It's well worth a read.

I have recently seen this in action. Two divers on a boat becoming insta-buddies right before the dive on a wreck in about 115' of water. One buddy being a relative newbie (A/O/W), and one being experienced.

Upon exiting the water at the end of the dive the newbie asked if anyone knew how long he had been down. He did not have a computer, and had forgotten his watch. The newbie soon started complaining about tingling in his hands and arms, and seemd a little disoriented.

The newbie diver was diving air, while his insta-buddy was on nitrox. The newbie was scaping bottom a lot on the dive. He also blew his safety stop.

The diagnosis was a minor DCS1 hit, so he went for a ride or two.

Who gets in the water without a bottom timer?

John I just wanted to say that it was a pleasure meeting you at BTS this weekend. As usual you were as gracious as ever taking time to sign anything in sight. Come to think of it I should have gotten you to sign my billboard I mean shirt.
Bobboard Marks

Bob,

BTS was a last minute stop for me. I was only there for the last 4 hours on Sunday, regardless I had a lot of fun and saw a bunch of friends. I am in the DR right now, but I promise to sign your billboard next time. I need to tell the other Bob Marx that you are using his name???

Cheers

JC

I just finished Shadow Divers. I am not a history buff. I don't know much about WWII, or U-boats. So this book was just eye-opening for me! I found the suspense in the research, as much, if not more than, the diving.

I purchased The Last Dive at the same time. I'm not going to bother reading it after reading Shadow Divers.

This book, along with all the incident reports, etc., go to show that we really do not know what causes leading to the deaths of divers who perish while underwater. The part in the book where the dad dies at the surface was telling and poingant.

I probably will not read Gary's book. And I will pass along Shadow Divers to non-divers for the U-Boat history lessons.

Rob did a wonderful job on Shadow Divers, and he is very talented. Bernie did a nice job as well, and was the first to write about deep diving for the mainstream reader. LD is actually just about the Rouses and although some of the subject matter overlaps, I would still suggest giving Last Dive a chance.

Cheers

JC

Man, why did I only find this thread now??? I guess I wasn't spending enough time on the board back in Dec and early this year. Like everyone else has mentioned it has been amazing to be able to read through this thread and get such amazing insight from JC. I was filpping through the tube a few years ago and stumbled across the DSD series, got hooked on that, then saw an advertisement for SD and immediately ordered it along with deep descent, and the last dive. SD was by far the best, but I devoured all three.

John, I think you get the point, but I've gotta say thank you!! I've been reading through some other threads recently and Richie has also started dropping in with some of his insight. TSandM now has a great quote from him.

There's no way one can quantify the impact you guys have had on our sport, so once again, THANK YOU. Hopefully you both will keep dropping into the board from time to time to enlighten us.

I am flattered.

I am also clueless. What is TSandM???

Cheers

JC

I am flattered.

I am also clueless. What is TSandM???

Cheers

JC

TS andM is the screen name of a frequent poster on SB here

Who gets in the water without a bottom timer?

I am all about divers taking responsibility for their own actions, but I can't help but ask who certified the diver with no computer, no depth gauge, and not even a watch???? And when??? And who let him in the water? This is why boat operators have to ask basic, basic questions like, "Does everyone have a dive computer?", and of course we all can't help but snicker.

Bad divers are bad for diving. Next time you think you have paid too much for a dive charter or a piece of equipment, think of this guy with no watch. He adds to our cost of diving...... he is probably at his attorney's right now. I will probably get sued just for posting this???

Cheers

JC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom