Shadow Divers -- The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainMarvel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just read this online:

"Fox 2000 has signed Ridley Scott to direct and produce SHADOW DIVERS, which is an adaptation of Robert Kurson's bestseller. CAST AWAY's William Broyles wrote the script, which centers on two wreck divers who in 1991 discovered the hull of a German U-boat in waters off New Jersey. The divers spent seven years searching for the truth behind the ship and men who died inside it."

I read this book and loved it. A must read for any diver, IMO. Hopefully, Ridley will do it justice.

CaptainMarvel:
Hopefully, Ridley will do it justice.

I hope so! It will be a challenging story to tell, with all the behind the scenes drama… Probably have some great diving. Now, if they will just follow the ‘spirit’ of the story and get it right…

If you take out the stupid diving maneuvers (a few people die on air over 200 feet), it's really just about finding out which sub it is...Sorta boring... I felt they were desecrating the remains of those German submariners. But they were seeking FAME, and look now, they have a movie!! I guess everything is working out well!!!

Sean

divebuddysean:
If you take out the stupid diving maneuvers (a few people die on air over 200 feet), it's really just about finding out which sub it is...Sorta boring... I felt they were desecrating the remains of those German submariners. But they were seeking FAME, and look now, they have a movie!! I guess everything is working out well!!!

Sean

Boring? no way! I couldn't put the book down.

scottfiji:
Boring? no way! I couldn't put the book down.

Agree the book is one of my favorite, hopefully the movie will be as good as the book.

divebuddysean:

Sean

Families of those submariners were very appreciative of Richie Kohler's effort to reach out and let them know their true final resting place. If you know John, the last thing he cares about is fame. He frequently posts on History Channel's forum if you'd like to let him know that you don't agree with his past actions.

This is also a good one:
http://tinyurl.com/848yv

divebuddysean:
But they were seeking FAME, and look now, they have a movie!!
They were? Where did you learn of this motivation?

I read the book and don't remember it suggesting that Chatterton and Kohler were motivated by fame.

I remember in Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury that Chris and Chrissy Rouse were motivated by fame. But I don't remember reading this about Chatterton and Kohler. Can you help me with your source?

Hyper-limits:
Agree the book is one of my favorite, hopefully the movie will be as good as the book.

Doubtful. I've never seen a movie that was as good as the book it was based on. Besides, no one is going to watch a movie with divers in low to zero viz. Although that would make for a low movie budget :wink: I will probably watch it anyway. The book was pretty good.

Sean, I'm with icediver and Rick. I never got the impression they were seeking fame. Why would Chatterton and Kohler have flown all over the world and done all the research they did. They didn't write the book. They were approached for information after the events occurred. The book wasn't even published until several years after everything happened. You might want to reread the book.

I cannot read between the lines for you. Do you think they would dive this boat and risk their lives so many times just for self-satisfaction? They were driven to find out the name of that boat, and why? They wanted to be the "ones" who discovered the boat. I thought it was very evident these were fame and fortune seekers. Their subsequent work and now this movie only seem to confirm my belief, especially since I don't find this story worthy of a movie. They aren't Jacques Cousteau.....

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom