Shadow Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selachimorpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson about 2 months ago and it was amazing. I read a lot, but despite being a diving instructor and spending nearly every day in the water, I had never really read a book like this one about diving before, its mainly been diving manuals up to this point. My diving and the diving I teach is purely recreational, so it was also interesting to gain an insight into deep wreck diving and the tech side of things. I read the book in record time, any spare moment I had I was consumed by it. I also found the historical aspects very interesting, and I thought the whole thing was very well researched.

But now its finished and I want more. Any of you guys have any suggestions for books like this one about diving? It doesnt have to be wrecks, it can be anything, but I need to read more books like this one!

Thanks guys!

Caverns Measureless to Man -Exley
Its about Sheck Exley's diving career from when he did his OW to record setting dives.

The Last Dive - can't remember the author
About Chris and Chrissy Rouse and their cave and wreck diving.

Both are great reads. I finished Caverns in one sitting The last dive in two or three.

I've heard Taming of the Slough is also a great read.

Great guys too...

"
When it comes to books about divers, try Brad Sheard's Beyond Sportdiving (1980's), Edward Ellsberg's On the Bottom (1930's), and Fatal Treasure by Jedwin Smith (1970's). As far as authors, try anything by Chris Kohl (Great Lakes) or Sir Robert Marx (Treasure Hunter). I also like a bunch of books that are just about shipwrecks"

You might also enjoy "Fatal Depth: Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, and the Wreck of the Andrea Doria" by Joe Haberstroh, about a rash of diving deaths that occurred on the Doria one year. The dive boat, Seeker, and some of the divers from Shadow Divers are featured in this book as well. It may sound morbid, but there's a lot of fascinating information about the ship and tech diving in general.

Another interesting read for me was "Dark Descent" (yeah, neither author lost much sleep thinking up titles....) by Kevin F. McMurray, which is about the sinking of the ocean liner "Empress of Ireland" in Canada in 1914 and subsequent explorations of the wreck. Really fascinating read.

One more suggestion would be an anthology of short stories (and a little poetry) from a number of excellent authors, called "Down Time: Great Writers on Diving". The contributors range from novelists and journalists to poets and playwrights. There's even a story in here by Mr. Cousteau himself. One long story in particular, "Compressor" (the author escapes me and the book isn't handy) is alone worth the price of the book, which is filled with gems.

Happy reading!

A very good read is "The Terrible Hours" by Peter Maas. It is the story of Admiral "Swede" Momsen and his work on "The Greatest Submarine Rescue in History." There is good information in the book about what he learned regarding nitrogen narcosis, deep air, DCS, etc.

I read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson about 2 months ago and it was amazing. !

How about a contrast.

"Shadow Divers Exposed:The Real Saga of the U-869" by Gary Gentile

'the last dive' is by bernie chowdhury.

Another interesting read for me was "Dark Descent" (yeah, neither author lost much sleep thinking up titles....) by Kevin F. McMurray, which is about the sinking of the ocean liner "Empress of Ireland" in Canada in 1914 and subsequent explorations of the wreck. Really fascinating read.

McMurray wrote two books on diving (that I know of).

Deep Descent is about the Andrea Doria - I have read that one and I thought it was superb (perhaps not quite as engaging as Shadow Divers, but still excellent). Opens with a grippingly told narrative of the accident that claimed John Ormsby's life. With the exception of one meandering chapter (the obligatory chapter about how the boat sunk), he does an excellent job of recounting his own dives on the wreck and the various fatal dives of the years. Does a really good job of maximising the drama without being either sensationalist of ghoulish.

Dark Descent is about the Empress of Ireland - I have not read that one yet, but am glad to hear that it also appears to be good.

Separately:

I haven't read it yet, but I hear really good things about Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival by Phillip Finch - all about the last dive of David Shaw (a truly spellbinding story).

Diving into Darkness was really good. "Beyond the Deep" by Bill Stone was an amazing book as well.

How about "No safe harbor" about the Wave Dancer tragedy.

Deep Descent was a great book to read.

The Last Dive was interesting, but not well written (in my opinion). But it's a good follow up to Shadow Divers as it focuses on the Rouses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom