Shadow Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my all-time favorite scuba literature ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My favorites are Deep Descent, Adventure and Death diving the Andrea Doria and The Last Dive.

Has anyone read: Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes by Gerry Volgenau?

It bills itself as a Shadow Divers of the Midwest, which is an interesting mental image to say the least...

51DaRs73EKL_SL500_AA240_.jpg

Piqued my curiosity.

I am in the middle of reading shadow divers and it is a great book. It is neat to hear the background information on everything from how the divers got into to diving to their personal thoughts and ideas. When I'm done reading shadow divers I would like to read caverns measurless to man. It sounds like a really cool book. Sink holes caves springs and the ways they are connected greatly interest me. Caverns measurless to man seems difficult to find. Does anyone know where to get it?

Caverns Measureless to Man -Exley
Its about Sheck Exley's diving career from when he did his OW to record setting dives.

The Last Dive - can't remember the author
About Chris and Chrissy Rouse and their cave and wreck diving.

excellent suggestions

McMurray wrote two books on diving (that I know of).

Deep Descent is about the Andrea Doria

Dark Descent is about the Empress of Ireland

i loved Deep Descent, but getting through Dark Descent was tough. the writing just wasn't up to par, in my opinion.

an anthology of short stories (and a little poetry) from a number of excellent authors, called "Down Time: Great Writers on Diving".

i enjoyed this one a lot

you could also try Jacques Cousteau's The Silent World, still a classic; and The Cave Divers, by Robert Burgess.

Submerged is a lot of fun, by Daniel Lenihan ... lots of different diving situations covered, from cave diving to testing the Bikini Atoll for radiation

I haven't read it yet, but I hear really good things about Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival by Phillip Finch - all about the last dive of David Shaw (a truly spellbinding story).

A good cave diving read. Left with me with certain impressions of 'why', in the end.

In addition to some of the books mentioned above, I'd also recommend Diver Down: Real World Scuba Accidents and How to Avoid Them by Michael Ange. My brother who got me into diving gave me this to read on the plane on the way down to D.R. to do my checkout dives. Not dry like a text - I found it an interesting read and wished the book was larger.

I also would recommend Raising the Dead by Phillip Finch. The story of Dave Shaw's dives down Bushman's Hole.

Has anyone read: Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes by Gerry Volgenau?

It bills itself as a Shadow Divers of the Midwest, which is an interesting mental image to say the least...

51DaRs73EKL_SL500_AA240_.jpg

Piqued my curiosity.

I enjoyed it. Not as good as Shadow Divers, but that was one of my favorites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom