Shallow and slow on the South side of Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
In 4'. I didn't even see the little fish till I got back home.

IMG_0955_2.jpg

It's from the shore dive at Coco View. This is where most every diver is either putting on their fins or taking them off... too focused to look at what they are standing right next to.

And this was 10 feet away, in 3 feet of water....

IMG_1132.jpg

This guy was visiting the Dentist way out in 10 feet of water...

IMG_1096.jpg

and way deep in 22', my favorite micro-critter, the Skeleton Shrimp (Carpella).... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprellidae

IMG_1048.jpg

Last edited:
Doc,

Didn't blow your safety stop, did ya???? LOL

Doc, Didn't blow your safety stop, did ya???? LOL

No, but i did have to get my wife to stand on my tank and keep me pinned down with 100 psi remaining. At that depth of 3' it lasted about another 20 minutes to get that Crabbie. That is the result of about 75 images- he is about the size (overall) of a Quarter and tends to move about often and unpredictably- hiding amid the Corkscrew Anemone. There were Pedersen Shrimp lolling about, as well.

At least this one was at real SCUBA depth:

IMG_0986.jpg

This is a great thread for lots of reasons. It is so true that in the bay islands you don't need to go deep or fast to see everything. Like the south shore of roatan the south shore of Utila gets long days of sunlight and so the opportunity for simply watching one small patch of reef (or sandy bottom) is awesome. If you will just sit still and watch you will be amazed at how your entire view just comes alive.

This is a great thread for lots of reasons. It is so true that in the bay islands you don't need to go deep or fast to see everything. Like the south shore of roatan the south shore of Utila gets long days of sunlight and so the opportunity for simply watching one small patch of reef (or sandy bottom) is awesome. If you will just sit still and watch you will be amazed at how your entire view just comes alive.

I fully agree with this. I first figured out when I was "the victim" in a rescue course, back in the day when they used real people lying on the bottom as search objects, and actually got off on watching the goings on in my limited vicinity while hoping that the searchers would take their time in finding me.

This year was the year where I decided I don't give a rip about going to the north side, I'm more than happy with the south and east sides, watching creatures interact with each other, like two coneys attacking a goldentail moray, chasing it along the reef until it found a crivice to hole up in. The coneys positioned themselves outside the moray's hiding spot and attacked it whenever it poked it's head out. Don't know what happened in the end though, I had to go into sprint mode and catch up with the group.

I'm kicking myself for not doing any shore diving this year.

I know you are just trying to make me jealous aren't you? Well, job done. We've got to coordinate our schedules for the next trip!

I know you are just trying to make me jealous aren't you? Well, job done. We've got to coordinate our schedules for the next trip!

Your problem is that you pay more than $75 for your camera gear. :rofl3:

You are correct Sir, painfully correct.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how you manage to keep the black powder for your strobe dry while diving?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom