Shallow and slow on the South side of Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be wrong, but I think those "specks" are a type of planeria. We used to get them in aquariums all the time and considered them a major pest hard to eradicate.

There were some nice ricordea mushrooms at the exit of Mary's Place but the last time I went through they appear to have left the building. They would have had a substantial aquarium price.

Haha, yeah, we have several locations here on Utila with WALLS covered solid in Floridia ricordia. My aquarium roots always come out when I see them and $$$ appear in my head. Don't just enjoy the mushrooms, however, as you often find the White-spotted Boxer Shrimp tucked inbetween the polyps if you look close enough.

We have a coral farm/propogation site on the south wall. I have nothing to do with it personally, but have been tempted to ask if I can assist and move some ricordia up there as well. And a few other "prized" specimens.

There were some nice ricordea mushrooms at the exit of Mary's Place but the last time I went through they appear to have left the building. They would have had a substantial aquarium price.

Once again- I am horrible at names, but these guys were living just where you mentioned...

P4290037.jpg

This was just past the swim-under, as you are slowly ascending the last 6'. I was always too busy not being a poster child for buoyancy clinics... never saw them for years. The lady that draws all the dive site maps, Liz, pointed them out, just in the shadow of a hole. She called them Sun Zoanthids. One strobe flash and they quiclky retracted.

I had been through Mary's Place maybe 100 times and had basically seen nothing until she took me through it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom