Shallow fresh water test of Akaso EK7000 ($75 GoPro knockoff)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Shot in 1080p/60 ft/second. No filter. I'm waiting for delivery of a cheap set of filters to experiment with. Camera doesn't have image stabilization, and I haven't done any editing. Wondering about best software to edit (MOV) on a pc w/Windows 10.

Akaso EK7000

Alexander Spring, FL yesterday. Camera shake is from me shivering in my 2mm equivalent skins in chilly water.

I'm curious how most people would rate the visibility in feet....

Last edited:
AKASO has released a set of "compatible" filters.
http://a.co/6r2EXwz

I say "compatible" because they don't fit. They're trying to correct the problem ever since I left a bad review, but as yet they still don't fit. But if you're willing to take a sander or blade to the lens to downsize it, the filters fit.

Here's my video using the magenta filter:

Nice. Was that shot in 1080? 60 fps?

Nice. Was that shot in 1080? 60 fps?
yes. I didn't feel the need to slow down much footage, but I wanted to have the option to slow to 30 fps if need be hence the choice of higher frame rate. Not to mention, my computer gets bogged down by 4K so it's almost unusable for me.

Looks pretty good, how does it do in lower light? The topside was pretty clear that wasn't in the housing was it?

I did use a housing as this camera is not waterproof.

The only relatively low light I've tried it in was at about 55 ft at Blue Spring. The boil is shaped like a narrow cone but the sun was bright and overhead when I shot video. I now have a few cheap filters I'll try next time I use the camera.

I was pretty cold so I was shaking, and the current is fairly strong at the bottom.

Here's one, also no filter, at Blue Heron Bridge.

]I use a color correction on my videos. Pick an object like your buddy's fin and have the computer correct that to white. I also use the image stabilization software, if needed. This video was shot as deep a 35' off Newport RI and I didn't use any filters.

I haven't tried any editing yet. Any suggestions for programs? The AKASO shoots .mov, and I'm using Windows 10...

Last edited:
I use Corel Video Studio but I hardly recommend it. It's just what I've used for 15 years so I'm used to it, bugs and all.

I use Corel video studio pro 7.0. I bought the disk cheap after version 8 came out. Be sure that you get image stabilization software as part of the package. Corel software has been pretty good for my uses. Just expect a learning curve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom