Sharing pics - files too big - help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all, I see what I was missing, the image size mod is the more important one. Once that is under control the jpg compression works well.

Great shot of what looks like a very cool nudi and the quality is excellent.

How do you send an image to someone that wants to ultimately blow it up and print it. I believe jpg is not the best format, but photoshop files are huge! This one is almost 30M The compressed RAW would be best, but not everyone can deal with those?

PS Save to web works in my CS2.

I'm just trying to learn how to use CS2 and you're right, it is a bit complicated at times with so many options.

The best way, which the pros use is FTP. I sent some files over 20MB this week. The person who receives it though has to have FTP too.

I would just burn a CD or DVD and mail it. Almost all print shops can handle psd files.

alcina knows more about it than I do.

Don't ask me about printing...I almost never do it.

SmartFTP is free from the web and works just fine. Many pro labs will have an upload site and you do it via FTP so you can send them the correct file size. That's about all I know LOL

high jpeg is fine for them to resize and print - presumably the receiver isn't going to do a lot of work on the image and so degradation becomes a bit of a non-issue. psd is better if they can handle it - places like WallyWorld cannot do psds usually.

Thanks again - psd it is then. I can put zip files on my website and let them download from the web. Easier then explaining how to deal with ftp.

If you're sending it to an output bureau that can actually take advantage of the full, high resolution, then yes, zipping your raw files (or PSD's) (be sure to embed the color profile you are using, and use a calibrated monitor), and making file transfer or web transfter arrangements is best. There is a whole market for content delivery systems out there that high end graphics shops use.

If you're sending it to someone who wants to print out an 8x10 on his Epson photo printer at home, then convert it and email a JPG (play with it until you get the highest res possible with a file size < 5mb), and it will be totally sufficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom