Shark attack, Egypt, Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each time we dive this area, DM at briefing tells us when a longimanus gets too close to regroup as a tight formation and always in a vertical position (never horizontal with a longi), apparently none of these have been applied by this group.

Each time we dive this area, DM at briefing tells us when a longimanus gets too close to regroup as a tight formation and always in a vertical position (never horizontal with a longi), apparently none of these have been applied by this group.

I'm curious why vertical position? To make divers look less like marine life?

Yes, kinda. Sharks look for clues what a human being could be, any water movement by moving legs could be interpreted as the propulsion of the object such as a fish and would be bitten first to immobilize the prey.

But isn't on the surface the very place you want camo to work, since sharks usually attack from below?

But where does a diver spend most of his/her time?

No, it gives you the ability to defend yourself and have better visualization of your surroundings. If your legs are behind you, you can't see them. If they are below you, you can see anything approaching your legs by tilting forward.

When ever we do our stops spearfishing we are always vertical. When you're in the water column this is the most precarious place to be. You don't have any cover, meanwhile a shark has 360 degrees of lightning fast maneuverability.

No, it gives you the ability to defend yourself and have better visualization of your surroundings. If your legs are behind you, you can't see them. If they are below you, you can see anything approaching your legs by tilting forward.

When ever we do our stops spearfishing we are always vertical. When you're in the water column this is the most precarious place to be. You don't have any cover, meanwhile a shark has 360 degrees of lightning fast maneuverability.

All correct AND the vertical position allows you to spin and check your "6". Being horizontal does not.

About Sharks feeding on South Red Sea:
46445090_10215606649550767_3848959294774968320_o.jpg

Who they are? And when?
Nov 24, 2018

looks like Amelia Discovery
44566128_1905249129541792_518272994938716160_o.jpg

46416865_10215607003679620_4802839890192498688_n.jpg

Here https://www.facebook.com/pg/discoverydiversliveaboards/posts/?ref=page_internal
and here Бразерсы - риск или нет ? - Страница 2 - Форум Тетис

Exceptionally irresponsible given what just happened. I suspect they will get into a lot of **** for this and rightly so

I never really gave much thought about being in trim or not. I guess it makes sense, certainly easier to kick them off with your fins.

I’ve generally found that swimming towards them gently is a good idea so they know you’re not intimidated.

A decent sized camera definitely makes sense to push them away if needed.

But 99.999% of the time they’re just wonderful sharks to observe as long as you observe guidelines.

I really hope nothing drastic happens like culling or closing down the marine parks in Egypt because of this. Liveaboards are pretty much the best force for stopping illegal fishing of sharks there.

Back
Top Bottom