shark attack on Diver in South Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zilch

Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard it on the local Sydney news this evening on the way home. A diver was taken off of adelaide, this is the post on the sydney morning herald web page

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...-adelaide-coast/2005/08/24/1124562912936.html

A man has been taken by a shark off while diving off the coast of Adelaide, police believe.

The diver was reported missing while some two kilometres off Adelaide's Glenelg beach, a South Australia Police spokeswoman said.

A second diver, who had been with the missing man, raised the alarm about 4.10pm (CST) today.

"One of the divers has apparently been taken by a shark. He is still missing," the police spokeswoman said.

Glenelg beach is one kilometre from West Beach, where 18-year-old Nick Peterson was killed by a shark in December last year.

Peterson was killed while surfboarding with friends behind a boat at West Beach.

It's believed he was killed by a white pointer shark, the species most commonly responsible for fatal shark attacks in Australia.

AAP

UNQUOTE

I really hope they don't end up with a bunch of gung-ho fisherman taking in shark after shark to "catch the shark responsible" for the attack...

Having said that, my deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the diver.

Z..

Too bad!! Not very often does a diver get attacked. My prayers go out to the family. With that being said, this is one reason why I don't see myself diving in the land down under.

There's more shark attacks each year in the US than Australia. South Australia is notorious for white pointers though.

It is believed that there were fishermen in the vicinity berleying while fishing, which could have been a factor.

Didn't read the article, too slow of internet. Was this actual recreational scuba divers? Or free diver spearfishing? Or Scuba spearfishing?

Condolences to all

University students collecting cuttlefish eggs for a research project from a private boat, apparently part of the university's diving program. The diver was taken on the surface by a very large great white shark as they were exiting the water. Two people on the boat spotted the shark, and were trying to get two divers out of the water when one was taken.

A search is still underway for the diver, his BC and tank were recovered yesterday. The site was an artificial reef known as the "Tyre Reef".

Zeeman:
I really hope they don't end up with a bunch of gung-ho fisherman taking in shark after shark to "catch the shark responsible" for the attack...

Having said that, my deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the diver.

Z..

Well when the surfer was taken in SA, they just closed the beach until they were sure the shark was nowhere in the vicinity. Even when we had a snorkeller taken earlier this year off the Abrohlis Islands in western Australia they didnt go shark hunting.. i suppose it shows that people are becoming more aware.
On that note however I guess the media may begin to sensationalise and question next whether it is the same shark 'stalking' the coastline in SA, which may encourage the 'gung ho' fishermen to go after any sharks in the area.

It must of been terrifying for the people on the boat who saw the shark coming towards their friends, I couldnt even begin to imagine what it would be like to see that happen and be completely powerless to stop it. That is something i doubt they will ever forget their entire lives.

robbcayman:
this is one reason why I don't see myself diving in the land down under.

Flawed reasoning, considering the size of Australia's coastline, sharks are a minor risk, great whites are not found everywhere (mainly in the south) and, as someone else has said, there are plenty of shark attacks in other areas of the world. It's kind of like me saying "I'd never drive a car in the USA, because so many people die on the roads there".
If you don't want to dive in Aus, and feel you need an excuse, at least plead poverty :D , don't blame the great white.

Speaking of which, I saw a show on Dicovery or Nat Geo the other day about some guy who was skin diving with great whites. No cage, just him, did it with several sharks. He would check the temperament of each shark before jumping in - some he considered "too angry right now" others he saw as low risk. He would get in, and suggested that by minimising the use of your arms and legs, you appear less like food, and more as simply an item of interest to have a look at. The guys said that using your fins was akin to a fish propelling itself (similar motions), so whenever a shark was close, he would be on the surface, only his snorkel out of the water, with his hands and knees to his chest. The sharks would swim up to him and then swim by, he even went for a little rid hanging on to one HUGE shark that I sware was bigger than the shark in jaws. Very interesting, hopefully, I'll never have to worry about his theories, but still, interesting.

Z...

prayers to families.
i just read the article today on sydney morning herald. very horrible. as one of the replies stated, its just impossible and sad to imagine yourself in a situation where you could do nothing to stop it and just watch the whole incident to happen to a close mate. anyway, i hope no sharks will be blamed for this incident since its just part of their nature, i guess its time for the australian government to put in more fundings in labs and universities for the behaviour and acts of sharks, especially the great whites, maybe someday scientists might figure out a period of time when sharks get aggro and a danger to swim/ snorkell/dive. althought this is quite frightnening news, i think it wont stop me going diving and discover the ocean.

Zeeman:
Flawed reasoning, considering the size of Australia's coastline, sharks are a minor risk, great whites are not found everywhere (mainly in the south) and, as someone else has said, there are plenty of shark attacks in other areas of the world. It's kind of like me saying "I'd never drive a car in the USA, because so many people die on the roads there".
If you don't want to dive in Aus, and feel you need an excuse, at least plead poverty :D , don't blame the great white.

Speaking of which, I saw a show on Dicovery or Nat Geo the other day about some guy who was skin diving with great whites. No cage, just him, did it with several sharks. He would check the temperament of each shark before jumping in - some he considered "too angry right now" others he saw as low risk. He would get in, and suggested that by minimising the use of your arms and legs, you appear less like food, and more as simply an item of interest to have a look at. The guys said that using your fins was akin to a fish propelling itself (similar motions), so whenever a shark was close, he would be on the surface, only his snorkel out of the water, with his hands and knees to his chest. The sharks would swim up to him and then swim by, he even went for a little rid hanging on to one HUGE shark that I sware was bigger than the shark in jaws. Very interesting, hopefully, I'll never have to worry about his theories, but still, interesting.

Z...

I knew someone was going to say flawed reasoning or something to that effect. However, If you are attacked by a White Shark your chance of survival is probably not going to be as good, versus being attacked by a bull or tiger. Knowing my luck I would be down looking at the beautiful barrier reef the White Shark hovers above me and I would look like a seal. That's why all those abalone divers use those cage systems. I know the chances of being attacked by a GW is slim but it's just one I don't want to take. Even though it's a slim chance tell that to this guys family. Just because some maniac decides to skin dive with White sharks doesn't make it a good idea. That's the same analogy if everyone engages in dangerous behavior than so can I. They may just have a lucky experience you may not catch the same luck. Bottom line, Great Whites scare me to death and I don't want to run into one. To each his own

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom