shark attack on Diver in South Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman:
I knew someone was going to say flawed reasoning or something to that effect. However, If you are attacked by a White Shark your chance of survival is probably not going to be as good, versus being attacked by a bull or tiger. Knowing my luck I would be down looking at the beautiful barrier reef the White Shark hovers above me and I would look like a seal. That's why all those abalone divers use those cage systems. I know the chances of being attacked by a GW is slim but it's just one I don't want to take. Even though it's a slim chance tell that to this guys family. Just because some maniac decides to skin dive with White sharks doesn't make it a good idea. That's the same analogy if everyone engages in dangerous behavior than so can I. They may just have a lucky experience you may not catch the same luck. Bottom line, Great Whites scare me to death and I don't want to run into one. To each his own
The Aussies might be better informed but from what I've read I don't think great whites are found in warmer waters (you mentioned the great barrier reef) of Oz. They are mostly found in temperate waters, such as southern Australia, West Coast of the US, South Africa around Durban, occasionally the Mediterranean (especially Italy). In warmer waters you'd probably deal with tiger sharks, a bite of which would leave you bleeding just as quickly and as much as a great white attack, if you were to survive the trauma itself. I wonder if dive boat crews would advocate carrying a rifle on board for such situations. I don't like guns but this is an instance where it might help. Kill the shark before it kills the diver.

even as a passionate diver, i have to admit that sharks, espeically those with a reputation, scare me. i guess the chance of getting eaten by a shark is way slimer than involve in a car accident or stepping on a piece of glass and cut your foot open at home, but the reason why this death is so feared by many is becuase you are attacked by something that is alive and something that is very unpredictable yet aggresive and come out of nowhere in the middle of the ocean where humans are not used to. this incident will scare off a fair few divers, but i will try not to think about it when going diving next time. i will try stay diving an the east coast rather than south coast of australia.
has anyone heard of shark attacks in queensland?

I was watching an interview where an adelaide fisherman was saying that there really needs to be a stronger line of communication established between those who frequent the ocean.
Apparently where the attack happened was right next to where an artificial reef had been created soley for the purposes of attracting the snapper that pass through the area this time of year. The fisherman said that the sharks come through in pursuit of the big snapper, so it is a really bad time to be in that particular stretch of water.

He mentioned that there really was no way to get this kind of info out to divers, so they could perhaps avoid the area when necessary. I suppose it woud be difficult, but it is an interesting concept that has merit

...What ever Sharks are one fthe most needless liveform i know.I readet that some feel like to eat those in the U.S. .Take me to the question what is to eat there....
I shoot every shark when he moves in my direction with a 8 shoot pneumatic UW rifel made for the Furzas Naval/Securita Civil Espaniola once when,iam in open wather or down ship,that is abel to kill the biggest shark in the Ocean.

7*

Eris Lucan7*:
...What ever Sharks are one fthe most needless liveform i know.I readet that some feel like to eat those in the U.S. .Take me to the question what is to eat there....
I shoot every shark when he moves in my direction with a 8 shoot pneumatic UW rifel made for the Furzas Naval/Securita Civil Espaniola once when,iam in open wather or down ship,that is abel to kill the biggest shark in the Ocean.

7*

Troll.

Eris Lucan7*:

7*
What the hell is wrong with you? I hope you and your fancy pnuematic rifle get eaten... :jaws:

I don't think Eris's primary language is english. I've seen a number of posts & be damned if I can make much sense out of any of them. Has me thinking he's pretty weak on written english, at least.

Wayward Son:
I don't think Eris's primary language is english. I've seen a number of posts & be damned if I can make much sense out of any of them. Has me thinking he's pretty weak on written english, at least.

I got that too...but even considering that, his post could hardly be considered anything but a troll.

Wayward Son:
It wasn't his english skills that I was referring too... :salute:

Hmm that thing looks like from space,my english is allmost completet,and iam female.

I never had time to ask 1 off the 3 sharks i killd and 2 i woundet if they have like to

play with me or what kind they are,it is my good right,and just i hate those needless

creaters.

7*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom