Shark attack response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only contribution is that when I was a kid I picked up the idea from somewhere that if a shark comes at you then you should punch it on the nose.

I actually got to put that into practice many years ago when a pair 5-6' reef sharks finally got fed-up with our shooting fish on THEIR reef and came after my buddy and I.

It just pisses them off more.

Glock 17 with marine spring cup modification, baby!!!

Get some!!!

0.jpg

...The scenario I am least comfortable with, in terms of how to respond, is the unlikely scenario in which a shark “grabs” a hold of me or my buddy (my 16 year old son). The scenario is other than a hit and run where I do not even see it coming, since in that scenario it would probably be over faster than I could respond...

Good question Ben; it's hard to say what the best response would be. I think I'd be bashing him on the nose, or be shoving my thumbs into his eye sockets (they hate that apparently). :)

I've learned three main things about sharks in 40+ years of professional diving:

1. They didn't survive for so long by being stupid (they don't know what you are and aren't going to attack you if there's a chance that they can get hurt);
2. A sport diver can't do very much in the water if a shark wants to bite him; and
3. They are unpredictable.

I've been involved in two shark incidents that could be called attacks:

a) A large Tiger in the Indian Ocean who persisted in getting closer and more aggressive to me until he came into contact with my cutting torch and he decided to call it a day; and

b) After I observed a number of bull sharks feeding, I was on the surface waiting to get into the boat and was pulled underwater by my right fin. I thought it was another diver fooling around, but I was the last diver out of the water (I still have the scrape marks on the fin). :)

What do they do to us that is worse than crippling us for life or killing us?

Walter doesn't want to know which animal. He is just, in my opinion, trolling for responses based on the wording of the "there are other creatures that can do worse" comment.

Basically...

If a shark can kill you and a [insert animal] can kill you, how can being killed by [insert animal] be "worse"? You're the same amount of dead in both cases.

To me being eaten as well is worse than just being crippled or killed. But that IS what sharks do. :)

Last edited:
Good question Ben; it's hard to say what the best response would be. I think I'd be bashing him on the nose, or be shoving my thumbs into his eye sockets (they hate that apparently). :)

I've learned three main things about sharks in 40+ years of professional diving:

1. They didn't survive for so long by being stupid (they don't know what you are and aren't going to attack you if there's a chance that they can get hurt);
2. A sport diver can't do very much in the water if a shark wants to bite him; and
3. They are unpredictable.

I've been involved in two shark incidents that could be called attacks:

a) A large Tiger in the Indian Ocean who persisted in getting closer and more aggressive to me until he came into contact with my cutting torch and he decided to call it a day; and

b) After I observed a number of bull sharks feeding, I was on the surface waiting to get into the boat and was pulled underwater by my right fin. I thought it was another diver fooling around, but I was the last diver out of the water (I still have the scrape marks on the fin). :)

Scarey Stuff............I hate bulls.

I've had to jab a black tip reef shark when spearfishing. It got his attention, but he was just after my catch. I got back on the boat before he circled back. I'd love to see what the tiger did with cutting torch.

Safe diving to you.

Back
Top Bottom