Shark Attacks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think that Tiger Sharks and Hammerheads in Cozumel would be pretty rare occurrences, and typically limited to the deep dive sites - maybe Santa Rosa Wall, Punta Sur. These are pelagic species which typically inhabit open ocean. Nurse Sharks, Black Tip Reef Sharks, Grey Reef Sharks, and the occasional Bull Shark would be much more common, as all like shallow waters and are known to hunt on reefs and sandy bottoms. I've never seen one in Cozumel, but I understand that Bull Sharks are commonly sighted off the Yucatan coast, from Cancun to Playa del Carmen and south. I haven't yet spotted any Grey Reef Sharks, but I've seen quite a few Nurse Sharks over the years, and several Black Tip Reef Sharks, usually juveniles in groups of 3-6, over the past 3 years at the south end of Palancar (Palancar Caves and Palancar Bricks).

Bull sharks seem to be mostly in Playa Del Carmen area, never seen one in Cozumel.. With the few hammerheads and nurse sharks that I have seen here diving, I have never had a problem with them. I continue my dive as normal while of course keeping an eye on them... I wouldn't recommend trying to give them a big hug, they might hug back.

Mary Eggemeyer was my mom. It was in fact a shark attack, it says so on the autopsy report. It was not the boat motor because the boat was turned off.

Was at Columbia Deep on the 1st, just me and Raul Platas of Bottom time Divers.
Towards the end of the dive in 40 feet of water we looked to the west and there was a 10 foot Scalloped Hammer Head.
Its taken more then 400 logged CZM dives to see my first one.
Raul indicates he may see one a year.

In 22 years of diving Cozumel I have seen one small tiger and one really big Great Hammerhead. Both sightings were at Punta Sur with the Tiger resting at the mouth of Devil's Throat. The Hammerhead passed very close to Memo Mendoza and Scuba Diving Magazine took the photo which was published in 2006. I will try to post the photo in another reply as I have been unable to attache it here. The photo was taken after the shark passed Memo who was still leaning back form the path of the shark. It was awesome and I hope I can get the photo posted. Take special note of the size of the dorsal fin!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Photo by Scuba Diving Magazine: Sorry if it is so small. I have a much larger shot but the upload does not want to make it large. Help?

hammerhead.1.jpg

Dave Dillehay

Looks like the actual upload did work!

Last edited:
Mary Eggemeyer, the woman from Dallas was my mom. According to the autopsy and the friends that were diving with her it was a shark attack. The boat was off so there was no way that is what killed her. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Haley,
I am sorry that you lost your mother in such a horrible way. I hope that the grieving has not been too difficult for you. Are you a diver? Have you been to Cozumel?

Haley,
I am sorry that you lost your mother in such a horrible way. I hope that the grieving has not been too difficult for you. Are you a diver? Have you been to Cozumel?

Thank you! I truly believe everything happens for a reason, the good and the bad. With God, my brothers and I have been able to get through it. I was in Cozumel with my mom 2 years prior to her death. I was 9 when I went to Cozumel with her so I was too young to dive then but I did some snorkling and I don't dive now. My mom was an avid diver and loved everything about it. As a matter of fact she would always tell us that when she did die, she wanted to be creamated and she wanted her ashes scattered in the ocean in Cozemul. Kind of ironic thats where she ended up dying. I'm glad I found this website to be able to read everyone's posts, I think it helps. However, some I do not aggree with, which I think is normal.

Going off track just a bit, cause after reading this post, out of curiosity I wanted to see what type of sharks have been spotted here.
I know of nurse sharks, reef, I think someone mentioned a hammerhead?
Has a tiger ever been witnessed in Coz?

I have seen Nurse (lots), Black Tips a couple of times, and grey reef sharks way up north. I would still love to see a hammerhead patrolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom