Shark attacks in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From Bay news Nine

You're not swimming alone
Saturday, June 18, 2005

Florida leads the nation for unprovoked shark bites.
Pinellas County is warning beachgoers to be on the lookout for sharks because rising surf temperatures in the summer draw them closer to the shore.

Florida leads the nation for unprovoked shark attacks, but shark bites on the west coast are rare.

"In summertime we have more species," Robert Hueter of Mote Marine Lab Shark Research said. "Some are more aggressive, actively feeding."

Recently, a Polk County woman was bitten by a shark while swimming at Sand Key.

"I thought one of the children had jumped on me," bite victim Michele Smith said. "Then I felt pain and I started swiping and it kept biting. I got up and it latched onto my arm and I started yelling, 'get out of the water'."

She suffered multiple puncture wounds and bruises.

Marine scientists said unprovoked shark attacks are very rare in Pinellas County.

So far, only eight have ever been reported, however, two of those were fatal. The last fatal bite occurred in 2000.

"These are not great white sharks we're talking about, these are smaller animals, so even if sharks are seen, it doesn't mean there will be a shark attack," Hueter said.

Researchers said sharks are most active during dawn, dusk and night.

"The phrase we use is between the months of five through nine, go swimming from nine to five," Hueter said.

Beach goers should also swim in groups, avoid murky waters and swim close enough to shore to get help if needed.

Researchers said sharks are very good at identifying their favorite food, which is fish, not people.

Usually when it realizes it doesn't have a fish, it lets go and swims away.

An average of only 10 deaths are reported from shark attacks worldwide each year.

In Florida, most of the shark bites and attacks occur on the east coast in Volusia County.

Sorry but i am sooooo sick of the sensationalism of shark attacks, how many people were killed by cows last year?
How many more people swim off the beaches of Florida then everywhere else in the US? Of course there are more shark attacks there, more people swimming in warm waters where sharks are more prevalent therefore statistics say more people will be mistakenly attacked...duh!
The media sensationalism is soo bad for a species that already has a bad name.

The shark is so threatened and under attack from finning that we as divers need to do all we can to help this creature if we want to continue to enjoy interacting with this amazing creature in the future

Mike Veitch:
, how many people were killed by cows last year?

Don't know, how many? :wink:

Actually I thought it was a good article after spending many an evening walking along the beach watching the tourist swimming in the dark. Perhaps there would be less attacks if they were educated?.

Mike Veitch:
Sorry but i am sooooo sick of the sensationalism of shark attacks, how many people were killed by cows last year?
How many more people swim off the beaches of Florida then everywhere else in the US? Of course there are more shark attacks there, more people swimming in warm waters where sharks are more prevalent therefore statistics say more people will be mistakenly attacked...duh!
The media sensationalism is soo bad for a species that already has a bad name.

The shark is so threatened and under attack from finning that we as divers need to do all we can to help this creature if we want to continue to enjoy interacting with this amazing creature in the future
Amen. No need to repeat this with my own post.

But you wear the unique protective headgear -- any self-respecting shark seeing it would go "I may have the munchies, but I'm not THAT hungry" :)

cdiver2:
Don't know, how many?
I did a search:

There have been 14 deaths from the human form of mad cow disease so far this year, bringing the total to 69.

And, according to Saturday's issue of the leading British medical journal, the number is rising by 30 percent a year.

vladimir:
I did a search:

There have been 14 deaths from the human form of mad cow disease so far this year, bringing the total to 69.

And, according to Saturday's issue of the leading British medical journal, the number is rising by 30 percent a year.

:wink: On a more serious note did the cows kill the humans or did the humans kill the cows first

It makes me nuts. People think of these shark attacks like it's JAWS all over again. She had puncture wounds!!! It is so much more like a dog bite than Jaws. And how many people are bit by dogs every year? Some of them do die too. My nephew was seriously mauled by an Akita when he was 10. He easily could have died. (NO they weren't teasing it either, it jumped a fenced kennel when they were walking past it 20 feet away.) Just wanted to point out that animals can be unpredictable in the ocean or on land. (people too :))

I just try not to look like food. :D

cdiver2:
:wink: On a more serious note did the cows kill the humans or did the humans kill the cows first
At least cows get a little payback. If sharks could come down with Carcharhine Spongiform Encephalitis in their fins maybe they'd have a chance.

markfm:
But you wear the unique protective headgear -- any self-respecting shark seeing it would go "I may have the munchies, but I'm not THAT hungry" :)
:rofl:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom