Shark attacks in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir:
At least cows get a little payback. If sharks could come down with Carcharhine Spongiform Encephalitis in their fins maybe they'd have a chance.

It is a well known fact that the shore line is more dangerous at night, so educate the people that know nothing about the seas. If one child gets hurt by a shark it will turn hundreds if not thousands of people against the shark having no sympathy for them whats so ever. So educate = less attacks=more sympathy for sharks in the shark finning industry.

A couple of nights ago I was walking along the beach at about 10pm and came across three (about) thirteen year olds playing in the shallows, not only were there no adults in sight there was no one at all if anything happened.
After telling them it was not a good idea to swim in the dark and explaining why, and why sharks come in at night three young boys left the water very wide eyed.

It's not the night time you have to worry about, its dawn and dusk- the hour at sunrise, and the hour or so at sunset.

There are more deaths from people hitting deer with their vehicles than by shark attacks each year. I think the figure is close to 150 deaths from an accident caused by hitting a dear. We obviously have our media and cinema to blame for the bad rep that sharks have adopted. Websites like sharkattack.com far outnumber the more educational and intelligent perspective like that of sharks.com. Ive only had the pleasure to witness a few sharks while diving, but all were awe inspiring and did not provoke fear. On the other hand I did get frightened when a 5ft Loggerhead turtle approached me. LOL

On the other hand, one ought not get overly "gushy" about them. Sharks are a top of the food chain carnivore. Marvel at them, appreciate their beauty, but realize that they aren't domesticated.

I don't try to pet a grizzly when I'm hiking. I have mixed emotions about the tiger shark photo site -- on the one hand it's good to let people know that they aren't automatically going to be lunch when a tiger is near, on the other hand a normal human being should probably be considering departing if a bunch of them are getting close, showing any interest. (either that or offer them some catnip :)

Scuba_Jenny:
It's not the night time you have to worry about, its dawn and dusk- the hour at sunrise, and the hour or so at sunset.
To me if its dark its night. So where do the sharks go between sunset and dawn?

cdiver2:
To me if its dark its night. So where do the sharks go between sunset and dawn?

They slip quietly into an internet cafe' and type:

Soup finning is decreasing our...I mean, the sharks population drastically. We...They are nice lovable creatures, and mean humans no harm.

Fincerely,
Jacob D. Hammerhead, LLC

"So long, and thanks for all the tourists!"

Kriterian:
They slip quietly into an internet cafe' and type:

Soup finning is decreasing our...I mean, the sharks population drastically. We...They are nice lovable creatures, and mean humans no harm.

Fincerely,
Jacob D. Hammerhead, LLC

"So long, and thanks for all the tourists!"

in every pack but I love it a good one.

I'm diving Florida, Naples of all unlikely places, next weekend. If there's a spearfisherman on the dive boat I assure you I'll not be anywhere near him.

I made this post a few weeks ago http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98534&page=1&pp=10 and I'll tell you what... my heart is still pounding.

You get 10 feet or less from a 9-10 foot Bull and you'll think twice from then on. Especially when you hear the stories about getting bumped, bitten and etc. I think the anti-shark thing is way over done. Someone comparred it to deaths from mad cow and another to hitting a dear on the road. However, when your quoting statistics consider the number of people who eat steak or drivers on the road in dear country and compare that to the number who put their feet in waters inhabited by sharks. That sort of put's a different light on it huh.

So anyone know what the statistic is for sharks bitting divers. I'm not concerned about the ones at the beach. That doen't mean I don't care it just means I'm seldom at the beach.

by-the-way I read your two posts about the bull. Wow!

djanni:
I'm diving Florida, Naples of all unlikely places, next weekend. If there's a spearfisherman on the dive boat I assure you I'll not be anywhere near him.

I made this post a few weeks ago http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=98534&page=1&pp=10 and I'll tell you what... my heart is still pounding.

djanni:
You get 10 feet or less from a 9-10 foot Bull and you'll think twice from then on. Especially when you hear the stories about getting bumped, bitten and etc. I think the anti-shark thing is way over done. Someone comparred it to deaths from mad cow and another to hitting a dear on the road. However, when your quoting statistics consider the number of people who eat steak or drivers on the road in dear country and compare that to the number who put their feet in waters inhabited by sharks. That sort of put's a different light on it huh.

I bet the number of steak eaters vs the number wading in beach waters would be a million to 1. I'm not a statustician but you've sure got a good point there. Unfortunately. I sort of like thinking about it the other way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom