Shark attacks in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen:
On the ride out to the reef last week (off Key West), a couple of newer divers were talking about the "Shark Week" program on cable, we got to the second site and there were 2 gorgeous nurse sharks hanging out...the 2 newbies got out of the water after about 5 minutes saying they'd heard nurse sharks can attack divers?? Kind of sad really that instead of educating people the program had to do the whole sharks-are-evil thing.

You are right but not all the media are the same, a lot sensationalize to sell the program. Experienced diver know the difference, new divers and the general tourist that go,s to the beach do not, unfortunately its the gorey ones that sell and make more of an impression on the uninformed/uneducated

RoadWarrior:
See this is the kind of statistic that just simply doesn't fit. There's 6.5 billion people on earth. If 1/3 take baths 3 times a week then there are 6.5 billion chances each week that someone could slip causing a fatal accident. How many people do you estimate would be in the ocean and within stricking distance of a shark during any given week? Well it isn't anywhere near 6.5 billion.

You can't compare the number of annual bath tub accidents to the annual number of shark attacks. A stistical mismatch.

That's the point I was trying to make. (Obviously poorly- have to watch this habit of late-night postings- or at least re-read what I write.) All jokes aside, bathtubs are usually not considered nasty carnivores, as sharks have been portrayed. As a south FL. diver and a spearfisher, I have seen numerouis sharks, take steps to prevent a one-on-one, and do not agree with using a "bang stick"- a co2 cartridge that one shoots from a gun-like tube which puts a nice-sized hole in the shark.

Sharks can be very dangerous- that's part of their job in the eco-system. They need to be respected and treated well, not used to form rotgut films or some type of soup.
FYI: If, as a spearfisher, I am "attacked" by a shark & am injured, it's my own fault- not the shark's! Which leads us into a discussion on Darwinism...

Queen:
On the ride out to the reef last week (off Key West), a couple of newer divers were talking about the "Shark Week" program on cable, we got to the second site and there were 2 gorgeous nurse sharks hanging out...the 2 newbies got out of the water after about 5 minutes saying they'd heard nurse sharks can attack divers?? Kind of sad really that instead of educating people the program had to do the whole sharks-are-evil thing.

Happy divers in the water swimming peacefully with sharks doesn't sell air time on the tube. Another angle on this is that those that shoot the film and video of the sharks know the real story yet they permit their footage to be produced into some "Oh my God, the sharks are going to get me today for sure" kind of drivel.

Back
Top Bottom