Shark bite article...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bear - Groh bled out. He did not embolize. That was the *final* coroner's report (even though embolism was reported prior to the autopsy).

Cowfish - why speculate on what might have been done to secure a situation that no one can completely define or explain to begin with?

So post the report! I believe what I research, not what because another person who wasn't there says so! The blog has direct links to the report, so who you going to believe?

I believe what I research, not what because another person who wasn't there says so!

You realize how ironic this is since this whole thread is about an article that Mr. Chin has no sources for. He wasn't there.

So post the report! I believe what I research, not what because another person who wasn't there says so! The blog has direct links to the report, so who you going to believe?

I only see a link to a definition of AGE and the Wetpixel forum, NO direct links to any report. We've shown you a direct link to CNN citing the medical examiner's report. Do you have anything better than some dude's blog focusing on CDNN?

he bled out- but you can choose to believe whatever you want- you do your research- i'll listen to people who were there...as for me speculating, i guess i was just responding to the "he knew the risks, therefore whatever happens is just the way it is" attitude of some of the posts i've seen...it just seems defensive- as if no one wants to question any thing that happened...as i said earlier, skydiving(and lots of activities), is a sport with inherent risk, but when someone dies we don't just say, well, he knew the risks...i'm not talking about laws banning shark dives-just questioning how and why this may have happened...there are companies out there that cut corners and do things that increase risks in an already risky endevour.....and if you truly, Truly love these beautiful animals, there is way more to do than just say you love them and convince yourself you are saving them by going on a few shark dives every year...especially with the internet today, there are plenty of worthy organizations and researchers out there to be supported who are not engaged just in tourism or profit making...

2008-00497 Is the medical examiners case number and so far the exact cause of death is not listed! So again lets all jump to conclusions! You can lose your left leg from the knee down and not bleed out with proper first aid! So there is still a lot to be found out! I am sure the boat crew and the coast guard know about Tourniquets and how to apply one! So there is much more to be found out!

It doesn't change too much regardless of which way it happened, the point is all we have is people trying to use this tragedy to point out something that isn't true! The man was doing what he wanted to do and being a lawyer he certainly know how to read the waiver and signed it! What is a giant mantis shrimp hit in the Femoral artery, would say that was a weird accident or that people shouldn't dive anywhere there are Mantis shrimp?

I am sure more will come out when the official investigation is complete! In the meantime he died doing something he choice to do just like Sony Bono!

The man was doing what he wanted to do and being a lawyer he certainly know how to read the waiver and signed it!

Would you approve of Andrea Doria dives for new divers on one tank of regular air?

Jim Abernathy is basically that guy for shark diving. Most every other tiger shark encounter I've seen online uses a cage. And guess what, the people in them get great pictures........

2008-00497 Is the medical examiners case number...

In your own words, "So post the report!" If you're going to ask others to do the same, why not provide a link or cut-paste the text?

... and so far the exact cause of death is not listed! So again lets all jump to conclusions!

Aren't you doing the same claiming cause of death was AGE, and that he panicked?

What is a giant mantis shrimp hit in the Femoral artery, would say that was a weird accident or that people shouldn't dive anywhere there are Mantis shrimp?

Logically, the likelihood of getting accidentally bitten by a shark in an uncaged feeding dive is way higher than having a deep artery lacerated by a giant mantis shrimp on a random dive. And the chance of something happening is by definition what you use to differentiate a foreseeable event from a "freak accident." Would someone crashing their car while driving 200mph down the freeway blindfolded be the victim of some "weird accident?"

If people want to go on these dives and are fully appraised of the dangers, more power to them. But please at least be internally consistent so we know what you're trying to argue.

for someone who doesn't want speculation i'd say you(papa bear) are speculating way more than anyone else by saying it could be an embolism...after autopsy coroner stated cause of death was loss of blood-i'm stating what was quoted in the paper and what came out of his mouth in the interview... a month an a half later will that change to embolism- is there going to be another autopsy?? uscg and police investigation is over....you seem very hopeful and attached to the idea it was panic and not the actual bite...and your comparisons to the mantis shrimp are ridiculous, as stated by the other poster...from accounts(eyewitness) Mr Grohl was not purposely getting right next to the crate- he was facing another direction and did not notice what was happening(crate attached to anchored boat-boat swinging in wind and waves)- I just thought on a dive of this type someones job is to be near the crate or watch for photographers who are not aware of the crates position.
Mantis shrimp eat mollusks and crabs...so yes, your analogy is correct...if you saw a mantis shrimp, then saw a small crab in front of it, and put your hand out next to this crab, and then got hit by the mantis shrimp- that is similar to this case...

Back
Top Bottom