Shark bite article...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and papa bear -your sea gull analogy, once again is way off- if you are walking down a boardwalk, and the boardwalk owner has some device or attractor for seagulls and is puposely bringing them in, ...get it...you may have many dives, but let me ask you-have you ever actually worked in the business(not as a photog) on a charter boat doing shark diving... there is a big difference between how passengers and crew look at things...

Cowfish: I thought I was clear in stating that I have never been on Jim Abernethy's boat and can provide no first-hand information on how his trips are run, so my arguments did not pertain specifically to Jim Abernethy and are not subject to refute based on Jim Abernethy's procedures. I did provide accurate information regarding a recent trip that I made to the Little Bahama Bank to photograph sharks.

My point is simply this: I believe that people should be allowed to make adult decisions to pursue their interests with as much freedom as possible. With total freedom comes total responsibility. I actively seek out operators who understand this, and I am very thankful that at least a few exist to fill the niche to which I am a part. I certainly don't push my attitude on others, and I'm happy to allow other divers to pursue their interests in ways with which they are comfortable.

Your point seems to be (I'm confident that you will correct me if I'm wrong) that operators must exercise some control (and therefore take some responsibility) to protect divers from themselves. The rift is that you seem to be unwilling to allow the "other side" to exist. -Clay

ld- i get what you are saying- i have been on that boat(twice actually) and thought thats what you were talking about- i understand personal responsibility- but the company you are diving with and taking full responsibility for your own safety with has to be totally upfront and honest for that whole scene to work- at abernethy for instance it is not presented as "you are totally on your own"- maybe where you dove it was-how about this for example.... I found out after i was on a shearwater trip, that crew(Jim) has been bit before(not to seriously but so what)...that should be shared info for people who wish to be totally responsible for their own safety- right... if the operator is totally honest about risks and supervision or lack thereof, i'm totally in agreement with you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom