Shark bites her head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The stats are misleading....

"people who go to beaches......chance of attack is 1 in 11.5 million"

.....it doesn't say "people who go scuba diving"

Electronic systems are a common factor on shark deterrents, however I believe they don't work on all species, I would suspect that various frequencies need to be explored

http://sharkdefensedevicereview.wordpress.com/

I remember seeing something at Natal Sharks Board years ago, called the Shark Pod, that employed a device fixed on the tank and another part on the diver to make some form of "force field" that deters the sharks

Ah, I should clarify what I meant. Lots of people have wireless transmitters on their first stage, on top of their tanks, and I've not heard of other stories of sharks being interested. In this case, it seems like the shark was very interested. In the story of Marco and the embarrassed great white, he had some electronic gizmo and there is speculation that this could have caught the shark's interest in a different way. So, could it be that the diver in this case A) had a wireless transmitter on top of the tank and B) it was emitting signals in some way (different from what they normally do) that caused the shark to say "Hey, this is interesting/annoying; I think I'll check it out, and since I'm a shark my mouth is how I check things out."

Of course this is just baseless speculation on my part.

That is an interesting thought... I have a wireless system and a shark came right at my head during a shark dive in Fiji last year. Didn't spook me because his mouth was closed and sharks were going everywhere, but I put my camera between us and had to bend over backward to avoid contact. There were so many sharks I barely gave it another thought. Made for a great picture of the shark's lips and an eye as he passed over me though.

I was going to say my strobes would cause electrical fields also, but I turned them off, because the back scatter was so bad.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2013 at 03:57 PM ----------

maybe it's just me, but the first time a shark bites anything of mine, i'm hitting it or, at the very least, making sure i can see it approach a second time... I'm not taking any chances! I think i'd do the same if it happened to my buddy. Sharks passing closer and closer to something is part of their "food determination" process, as i understand it. That second pass would have had me back to back with my buddy and moving out of the water as soon as possible, research be damned.

I'm not afraid of sharks generally, even big ones that have a "reputation" but when they exhibit that kind of behavior, it's time to get out of the water and return to the top of the food chain

ftfy :)

Last edited:
PICT0009.jpg
This one swam right at my head. I was able to put the camera between us and bend over backward to avoid contact. Maybe there is something to the wireless transmitters attracting sharks.

A few years back an abalone diver got eaten wearing a "shark Pod" in Australia and a few "more" years ago in the Tuamotos as DM diving with Ron a Valerie Taylor, haning onto a wall during a pass dive with "lots" of sharks and a Frech "shark wrangler" feeding them in the current , one swam up current in the eddie close to the wall and passing close decided to try to bite my mask off , very fast, but pulled my head in ( good at that!) and he missed!!..LOL..can do that now..have it on video!...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom