shark dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original one is at Cara a Cara run by a couple of Italian guys called Waihuka. It's pretty well known, it's East of the airport in Dixon Bay. AKR seems to be using the mooring ball that these guys set. I don't know as how there's much of a difference in the product~ AKR uses bigger boats, the Italian guys run a more flavorful down-home and tribal kind of operation.

AKR would involve a rather long boat ride, Waihuka you would cab over to and a short boat ride out. For a change of pace if nothing more, I'd suggest the small outfit.

:search: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/222039-shark-dive-roatan.html

Yes, it is a bit of a long boat ride from AKR but perhaps more convenient. Coming from FIBR to Waihuka I thought was inconvenient to have to pack up my gear, shove it onto the bus, unload it at Waihuka, put it back together on the dock, cram into their small boat like sardines, then after the dive, cram back onto the boat go back, unload (with really no help from the staff there), load the gear back onto the bus and go back to FIBR, and unload the bus again....
So, it's a trade off, a long boat ride vs. perhaps a little more convenience of shuffling gear all around... You pick which is best for you.
BTW - ILR used do to the shark dive on one of their boats last year - same thing, long boat ride, but very convenient. I don't know if they still do it from there or not.

The original one is at Cara a Cara run by a couple of Italian guys called Waihuka. It's pretty well known, it's East of the airport in Dixon Bay. AKR seems to be using the mooring ball that these guys set. I don't know as how there's much of a difference in the product~ AKR uses bigger boats, the Italian guys run a more flavorful down-home and tribal kind of operation.

AKR would involve a rather long boat ride, Waihuka you would cab over to and a short boat ride out. For a change of pace if nothing more, I'd suggest the small outfit.

Thanks RoatanMan, I remembered seeing Waihuka somewhere a while back but of course when you are down to the line, ya can't find anything.
Mere Hours away!!!
Jill

A couple of years ago, I stayed at the Inn of Last Resort and the owner gave us a ride over to Waihuka, for the shark dive. After dropping us off she did some grocery shopping. She finished her shopping as we were comming back from the dive, so she gave us a ride back.

BTW, the shark dive was a lotta fun. I hope you enjoy it.

So you know, the shark dive via Anthonys Key still has the guys from Waihuka on the AKR boat, so basically you just to do the dive from a bigger, more comfortable boat with a akr divemaster with you, akr and waihuka aren't always so bothered about taking large groups so recommend doing this dive when your comfortable with rough surface conditions and possibly strong currents.

Its a great dive and most dive centers on the island can arrange it for you, enjoy!

I was going to say the same as malcforrest, the shark dive is run by the Waihuka guys. On our trip they showed up at AKR and head out on the AKR boats. On the way back they stop at the "gift shop" and then head out once back at AKR. I'm pretty sure the guy who started the dive/the lead diver is French. He did a great job, takes precautions and safety seriously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom