Shark Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, we went out two summers ago as well. Interesting trip. Not sure I'd do it again. Lots o' $$ for a 15 ,minute dive

socaldiver:
I chuckled a some of your pics because they are similar to some of mine.
Maybe, it's because they have programmed that artificial shark to swim through the same patterns for each dive. :11:

All kidding aside, those were cool pics!

Christian

All in All:

How much money did you spend on your diving trip?

How many hours or minutes did you spend in the cage(s)?

Sounds like it was a great trip, I also would like to this trip maybe next year.

The trip is $179, better than I was looking at paying for a similar, in cage trip in San Diego. You can spend as much time in the cage as you want. I probably spent at least an hour in the cage. About half of that was by myself.
Socaldiver-I really like the shot of the shark at the swim step. "You'll never get out of the water.... Aaahh!!!"
I guess a 4-5' mako isn't huge, but we were breifed that anything more than a 3' mako and they would pull us out of the water. Talking to one of the safety divers on the trip back, he said it was bigger than that but non-agressive and far enough away it wasn't an issue. We got an email from Manny yesterday, just sort of saying what a great trip it was and that email said the mako was 6'! I could be that fish get bigger with time or it was bigger than I initially thought, I don't know, but it was well worth it.
If you've got a big enough group, you can charter a shark dive too.
Somebody asked if Manny was on the boat, yes. He's the one holding the shark in the last couple of shots.

I thought it was only a couple of years ago but actually it has been over 3, geez.

I had a great time that day, and I enjoy diving off the Aquatica (sort of bias since it was the boat I dove from getting my OW cert), especially when Manny is on board. He is a great guy and his crew is good also.

I don't know if I would fork out the bucks though for another shark dive like that one. Even though it is a lot cheaper than doing a dive out of San Diego. I really want to do the Shark Expedition to the Coronados to dive with the GW's. If only the lottery would cooperate I would be a happy camper. :eyebrow:

socaldiver:
I really want to do the Shark Expedition to the Coronados to dive with the GW's.

Do you mean Guadalupe island? I never saw any sharks in the Coronados but there are some expensive boats out of San Diego that go to Guadalupe -- I'd _love_ to do one of those. For a cheaper GW experience, I was thinking of doing the Farralon's (sp?) out of San Francisco.

'course, as usual, I could be completely full of crap...

WadeGuthrie:
For a cheaper GW experience, I was thinking of doing the Farralon's (sp?) out of San Francisco.

I've looked at both too, and I think I would fork out the money to do the Guadalupe Islands trip. I was talking to a guy on the Aquatica who's friend just got back from the Farralons and didn't see any. Shark dives aren't garunteed but you can't chum at the Farralons because it's a preserve. In general though, I hear they're a great dive.
Cause, you know, I'm going to have that kind of money any time soon....

Just to chime in ... I went on one of the Aquatica's shark trips last year. I don't think I ever got out of the cage on scuba due to the fact that I was chasing my 8-year-old son around. But pretty cool overall. We saw some molas along with the sharks.

but I thought I read that Shark Expedition goes to the Coronados, I believe it is off the coast of Baja, and I believe it took the boat overnight to get to the islands. Again, I may be wrong because it has been over a year since I read about it.

It doesn't matter where it is, the point naturally is to go on it and see the Gw's.

Renee...great photos...I almost went on this trip...kicking myself now...my buddy art went...saw him in your photos... :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom