Shark Fin Dealer Pleads Guilty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Florida Shark Fin Dealer Pleads Guilty To Illegally Trafficking In Fins From Protected Species
UnderwaterTimes | Florida Shark Fin Dealer Pleads Guilty To Illegally Trafficking In Fins From Protected Species

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Mark L. Harrison, a resident of Southport, Fla., and Harrison International LLC, a Florida corporation, today pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Atlanta to violating the Lacey Act, a federal fish and wildlife trafficking law, by dealing in shark fins, the landing of which was not reported as required by law, the Justice Department announced today."

Up to one year in prison and a few hundred thousand dollars doesnt seem like enough to me. The shark fin industry is a multi billion dollar industry. Only serving a year and paying 100,000 isnt making enough of an impact. Im verry happy to see action being taken but I wish these fines would be much more severe. Thanks for the article.

Up to one year in prison and a few hundred thousand dollars doesnt seem like enough to me. The shark fin industry is a multi billion dollar industry. Only serving a year and paying 100,000 isnt making enough of an impact. Im verry happy to see action being taken but I wish these fines would be much more severe. Thanks for the article.

Thanks for posting that Dave!

Though I have to agree that the penalties are a Joke, It should have been three times what he got!

I agree Jim, the penalties need to be stiffer and if our government wanted to pass a law that really mattered, they make the importation of shark fins illegal. (But then they would just bring them in through Mexico:wink: )

I think the penalty should be amputation of the arms and legs followed by casting the torso and lower body into the ocean to sink to the depths and become food for shark, crabs and bacteria. Seems to be fitting the crime.

I think the penalty should be amputation of the arms and legs followed by casting the torso and lower body into the ocean to sink to the depths and become food for shark, crabs and bacteria. Seems to be fitting the crime.

Here here!:martini:

You have my vote!

:rofl3::rofl3:

Would that be the day.Punishment fitting the crime. :shocked2:

Dr.Bill you're a hard man.:rofl3:

DrBill for president ...VOTE NOW

An eye for an eye.... If they had ever dove and saw what an amazing creature sharks are I wonder if they would think different. I actually doubt it - those type of people are only greedy money hungry killers with no heart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom