Shark finning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something else I did was ask my local library to buy a copy of the DVDs: Sharkwater and The Cove. Here we just fill out a form and if they think it is a good idea they will buy it for the collection. I pointed out all the awards and nominations the two movies have received so hopefully the Library will follow through. If we all did this....

Oscar nominee: To Order The Cove

31 international awards: Sharkwater

It is very difficult for anyone to tell another culture what they can and can't eat but as a world culture we can collectively point out the devastation one culture's choices are creating. People used to eat people, this obviously in now frowned upon. I intend to do everything legal that I can to help protect the future of sharks. I'm making as many friends in political circles as I can to try and get this resolved politically, (especially with Long line fishing and the destruction of bottom trawling). I'm also talking to EVERYONE about the problem of overfishing and shark finning. I refuse to sit by and watch these amazing animals disappear.

Like it said on sharkwater. If anyone put a thing like long lineing on land people would quickly stop that from taking place but once it's in the ocean they don't do anything about it.

I recently did a presentation at a local science center on sharks. The audience was astounded when I hit the topic of shark fining...I had three graphic slides of the slaughter. Did you know that shark fin soup sells for $100 a bowl in some US locations?

Joe

It's amazing how people don't realy care about recking the earth's animals and species.

I posted this elsewhere but I want to put it here too:

In an effort to fight Shark Fin Soup consumption I want to attack on a medical front.
If anyone has data on Mercury levels in different Shark, webs, charts, raw data, whatever you might have please direct it my way.
I also believe this is a way to fight the shark cartilage pill industry.
I but I need the data to back it up.

Another idea I had was to confront the issue of Shark Fin soup with Asian college students. Let's address this with the future soup clients. If we can give them info to persuade their parents that shark is not healthy to serve we might make some head way. No bride wants to serve her groom something that might cause sexual disfunction which is what Mercury levels in humans can do. Any ideas you all may have on this would be welcome.

I love Sharkwater. It's what really got me into diving with sharks. I've started a blog and to date have two posts, one on hammerheads and one on whalesharks (below). I'm hoping to help increase awareness (outside of the well informed diving community) and also provide people with some tangible actions they can do. It's wonderful to see so many people in the dive community taking action.

Besides this being a huge waste of the eco systems animals, it is very cruel. This will throw off the balance of the oceans if it continues at this rate. What if i people were cutting the legs off cows and leaving carcass's all over the place, just to eat the legs? Same damn thing...I didn't know how bad it was till i got into these forums a couple of years ago and saw "Sharkwater". I bought a couple of shirts that show a shark with its fins cut off and bleeding. Of course, i get to explain the shirt to people when they ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom