Shark finning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly only Asian countries are blamed for serving shark fin soup. I was soooooooooo surprised when I read articles from San Diego and Vancouver (jsut to name a couple), saying that most of the Asian restaurants serve shark fin soups there too. I couldn't believe it! I thought that it wouldn't be allowed in USA or Canada! Oh how wrong I was. I am really glad that the young generations that know their cultures the best are trying to do something about it. Thanks for the article link.

Caught the 60 min report on the white pointers with Cooper. Pretty good. I like how the South African said he'd probably die from his own bad habits before a shark attack and he's most likely right. Maybe someday i can do a cage dive with these spectre's or will the argument of attracting sharks to boats/humans as a bad thing, stop myself and or everybody?! I downloaded and watched "The Cove" over here in the desert. What a waste of life. Over fishing the Japanese waters is already a problem i read about years ago. Also in the news, the closing of a sushi bar serving dolphin in San Diego? WTF? Not in my home state!!

Got some good news today. Remember the juvinal Whale shark that was found near death finned in the Phillipines?
(the sad video of the poor critter: YouTube - Whale Shark got its fins cut off. )
The article ( Wildlife Extra News - Whale shark butchered for its fins in the Philippines )

Well two good things have come out of this very sad event:

1) The President of the Philippines has sworn to not let this happen again and has put every agency at her disposal on the job of protecting Whale Shark in Philippine waters.
The article: Gentle Whale Sharks of the Philippines get president's attention

2) A new movement has taken shape in Hong Kong as a result of the video made of the dying Whale Shark:

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

A Facebook group is hoping to change traditional wedding banquets by hitting newlyweds where it hurts - in the pocket.
The "Cut gift money for shark-fin banquets" campaign calls on netizens to tell couples about to get married to leave the traditional soup off the menu or receive a 30 percent cut in their red packets or money gifts.

Within days, 3,896 people signed up and more are joining daily.

Group originator Yui-Wah Clement Lee said he decided on the anti-shark's fin campaign after seeing a video clip in which hunters off the Philippines cut off the fins of a young whale shark and left it adrift to die.

Shark's fin campaign hits newlyweds where it hurts - The Standard

The Facebook Group started by Yui-Wah Clement Lee:
?????????? ??? "Cut gift money for shark fin banquets" Community Page | Facebook

Good things are starting to happen!
Fingers still crossed for the Hawaiian Shark Finning Ban Bill to pass - Vote was today.

Fins up!
Kate

If you're interested in helping with the fight to save Sharks:

A really good campaign
Say No to Shark Fin Soup Campaign is the best. With minimal donations they are buying bus stop Bill Boards in Asia featuring Yao Ming the basketball star. I feel it's the most proactive and they accept any amount you are willing to donate through Paypal.

To get good information on what is happening in the fight to save sharks:
The Global Shark Initiative Web Page
or on Facebook

-

Hi Pinko. I am going to send you a PM about wha you're doing and what I wanna do about this too, but for now, just saying that I am another number on board here fo you guys to campaign against this.

Look we could be here all day talking about how wrong and horrific and painful it all is, but the bottom line is money. It makes money, a helluva lot of money for people. How can we get around this? how can we make it less profitable for them to do it, or even persuade them not to do it by finding a way to make it profitable for them to give it up? Like when Bear Farmers were paid to stop doing this in India.

Any ideas?

Hi Pinko. I am going to send you a PM about wha you're doing and what I wanna do about this too, but for now, just saying that I am another number on board here fo you guys to campaign against this.

Look we could be here all day talking about how wrong and horrific and painful it all is, but the bottom line is money. It makes money, a helluva lot of money for people. How can we get around this? how can we make it less profitable for them to do it, or even persuade them not to do it by finding a way to make it profitable for them to give it up? Like when Bear Farmers were paid to stop doing this in India.

Any ideas?

1-Discuss this issue with as many young Chinese people you can meet (especially online) discuss it, don't judge. People get defensive when you attack their culture.

2- Talk to everyone about this issue. Many people are still unaware what is going on with our sharks

3- Write to your political representatives and tell them how you feel about this issue (sign up to vote - this helps)

4- Hawaii has banned shark fins - lets get involved with banning them elsewhere, join Shark saving groups

5- Buy a billboard sign at Shark Savers

6- Write to your local and national fisheries and tell them how you feel about this issue.

Soz i havent replied in ages

Updates

A few weeks ago I donanated around £5000 to some organisations helping with this topic
Also in aquariums around where i live I gave them £10,000 to help them set up tanks for them to breed sharks and other marine animals.
I also did petitions and got around 200 people to sign it, haven't finished it yet but once I have i'm going to send it to governments to put our word across

Ashley
x

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom