Shark on menu at local restaurant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meldiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
A restaurant just reopened here in Grand Bahama and they have 3 entrees of shark. I am totally appalled and am going to encourage everyone here to boycott Peir One. If you visit Grand Bahama please do not eat there. We are working very hard, actually butting our heads against a brick wall, to try to get the Bahamian governemt to protect our sharks.

There isn't a shortage of shark. We even have it in groceries in Oklahoma. I have eaten 100s of sharks I've caught in the gulf but I would never pay for it...it's not that good.

I've had some that tasted good, almost like swordfish but I've had enough with that ammonia after taste that I don't eat it anymore,

Mmmmmm they have baby shark served 3 ways. I might have to go there next trip.

Frommer's Review:

Many people head to this restaurant because it's close to the cruise-ship dock. It's also an ideal place to sample some fresh seafood before you head up Queen's Highway to the West End. It rises on stilts a few steps from the water's edge, and a footbridge leads to an interior loaded with nautical artifacts. The high-ceilinged bar is a nice spot for a round of drinks before your meal. The most desirable dining room, of the several here, overlooks schools of fish. The lunch fare includes a delectable cream-based clam chowder, and fresh oysters are also available. The house specialty is actually baby shark, prepared in a number of ways. (There's a shark pool on-site.) We prefer ours sautñÆd with garlic; the stuffed version, with cheese and crabmeat, tends to overpower the natural shark flavor. A fresh fish of the day is also featured.

:cool2:

Chances of me ever being on the island are beyond slim but if I ever walk into a place with shark on the menu, I will turn and walk out. While I agree that there may be no shortage of certain shark species, to say a blanket statement "there is no shortage" is just showing your ignorance on the topic (and I am not that knowledgable). Many species ARE on the brink of extinction and it is widely understood that many operations do not differentiate between what is endangered and what is not when they catch (or buy) them. There are also many illegal fishing practises used such as (I believe the term is) long-line.

Bottom line is, since there is no way to guarantee that the shark species on the menu is not endangered, I will not support any establishment that serves it.

Mmmmmm they have baby shark served 3 ways. I might have to go there next trip.

Frommer's Review:

Many people head to this restaurant because it's close to the cruise-ship dock. It's also an ideal place to sample some fresh seafood before you head up Queen's Highway to the West End. It rises on stilts a few steps from the water's edge, and a footbridge leads to an interior loaded with nautical artifacts. The high-ceilinged bar is a nice spot for a round of drinks before your meal. The most desirable dining room, of the several here, overlooks schools of fish. The lunch fare includes a delectable cream-based clam chowder, and fresh oysters are also available. The house specialty is actually baby shark, prepared in a number of ways. (There's a shark pool on-site.) We prefer ours sautñÆd with garlic; the stuffed version, with cheese and crabmeat, tends to overpower the natural shark flavor. A fresh fish of the day is also featured.

:cool2:

I'd like some Dolphin on the side please! Make sure it's on a plastic plate!

Chances of me ever being on the island are beyond slim but if I ever walk into a place with shark on the menu, I will turn and walk out. .

There are 14 species of endangered duck. Does this mean you will turn and walk out of any restaurant serving duck? There is an endangered cow the Blanca Cacereña bovine breed. Is McDonalds off your list too? I could go on and on this way...who looks ignorant now?

Thanks for the heads-up, Meldiver. I'm not likely to be in the Bahamas anytime soon, but I also avoid giving my business to restaurants that serve shark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom