Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamesen

Reaction score
:( I'm sure some of you know about the Martha's Vineyard or Oak Bluff's Monster Shark Hunt Tournament. ESPN has been a huge culprit in adding to its popularity by giving it air time. There is a petition you can sign via internet to show you are against this inhumane and inexcusable event. PLEASE sign it by 7-20-06, the goal is 1000 signitures and there are 721 already. The site is www.thepetitionsite.com or to read more on this go to http://hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_news/oak_bluffs_shark_hunt_4-06.html?print=tt You will also find phone numbers of people in Oak Bluffs you can contact to let them know you disagree with this slaughtering. Thank you. If anyone knows more on this subject please email me.

Wow, it's a once a year tounry. Maybe we should get a petition to stop the sluaghtering of cows, pigs, and chickens too.

I'm really sorry you feel that it is ok to use the oceans resources for pleasure killings, and I'm really shocked that a scuba diver would want to compare a sensless shark killing to the slaughter of animals that we actually use as food, how many of those sharks will end up as a meal? It is not even a practicle comparison and I find your lack of compassion appaulling. If you don't like sharks that fine but that doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't have the enjoyment of being able to see them IN THE OCEAN, not on some ESPN2 broadcast hanging from their mouth all bloody. Thanks for the concern Sandman12!

I signed the petition and then forwarded it along to members of my dive club using the group mail feature.... I ask that all eco-minded divers sign the petition and forward to as many people as you can think of.

Endless, meaningless slaughter of such a magnificent animal is uncalled for and needs to be stopped.

Peter Marck,
President,
Underwater Education & Training Center
of New England
(and now Denver, CO)

Maybe you should look into this a little more? It is condoned by the local biologists as a good way to obtain info about the local shark populations. Also, only potential winners are killed, most are released. Were talking a hand full of sharks here people.

Thank you for all of your help to those who signed the petition! I have looked further into this matter. I have researched the fishing club that puts it on, reviewed all of their rules, and "winners" for the past three years. I have also seen a list of sharks that have been named threatened or near threatened to waters in that area. I also read that the biologist are gaining some research from the carcuses of the sharks but have admitted that the evidence is bias because the sharks killed are the biggest and usually always male, so population and any study involving an average is bias also. The fact remains that at in this point in time the sharks being killed have been studied on the table and know more can be learned by studing them in their natural habitat. They have been doing this hunt for 20 years this year. We have learned a lot about since they started this about the threat of declining populations in the shark world. It is time to stop this. Even if they only kill 50-100 sharks a year, it hurts the population, after 20 years of this tourney, that is 1000-2000 sharks dead. I just can't believe that in the USA they can get away with this.

I signed it also. I never have seen a shark up close in real life, but I sure hope I will be able to see one in the near future. And those people who are just killing them for the fun (why not try catch, take some awesome pictures and release the fish) are not very helpfull this way to achieve my goal!

Jamesen:
se the sharks killed are the biggest and usually always male,

that actually makes me feel better cos at least they're less likely to be pulling out pregnant females like that mokarran in florida earlier this month. I thought female sharks were usually the larger though?

sandman12:
Wow, it's a once a year tounry. Maybe we should get a petition to stop the sluaghtering of cows, pigs, and chickens too.

The spelling is as atrocious as your implied logic. X

p.s. Jameson...appreciate the heads-up. I am shocked to see that the somewhat liberal community of Martha's still condone this type of fishing. It's probably the summer crowd (far removed from the real islanders) who push for this type of spectacle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom