Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Maybe you should look into this a little more? It is condoned by the local biologists as a good way to obtain info about the local shark populations. Also, only potential winners are killed, most are released. Were talking a hand full of sharks here people.
What he said !

I love sharks and don't wish to see them slaughtered for sport, but they have the backing of the local scientific community. None of the species targeted (Mako, Blue, Thresher) are endangered that I am aware of, it's two days 2 sharks per day, most are released. I'd be more worried about the fishing charters that are out 200 days a year, or the shark finners who kill how many a day, not for sport but for money.

It does p!$$ me off when they bring in a small shark, but I digress.

I relieze to some people this seems very minor compared to the huge shark finning opperations in Asia and on small islands, but I support groups with my monitary contributions that have more power to stop them than I ever could right know. But this little thing I can do in my own country. I can make a small difference right here in the USA by helping to stop the killing here.

If you REALLY want to make an individual impact, write them a letter!

Oak Bluffs Board of Selectmen:

Gregory Coogan, Co-chair
Duncan Ross, Co-chair
Michael Dutton
Roger Wey

Mail to: Board of Selectmen, PO Box 1327, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557

The killing of these animals must be stopped... only if we can stop this here in Massachusetts at least we have made a small dent in the slaughter of these apex predetors.

Peter Marck
President
Underwater Education & Training Center
of New England
www.underwatereducation.org

Wildcard:
Maybe you should look into this a little more? It is condoned by the local biologists as a good way to obtain info about the local shark populations. Also, only potential winners are killed, most are released. Were talking a hand full of sharks here people.

Who are the "real" biologists here? Quint? I didn't find any info. X

p.s. signed the petition and have written to the Chamber of Commerce. No one needs these bloody spectacles. They are ugly excuses for guys (very few women) to get aboard their fiberglass boats and do something in the vein of Hemingway. If they were really macho they could try diving the wreck of the nearby Andrea Doria. That takes some cahones...especially on a bad day.

I think the biggest problem with this event is the negative publicity toward sharks. I know so many people who are afraid of the thought of sharks and think that they are some sort of vicious killing machine, and yet none of them have even seen a shark!

So many people have prejudices against these animals for no reason; and living in FL with our shark "attack" problem it is so aggravating. Every time someone gets bit there is such an uproar against them. If it's a fatal attack local authorities always try to "avenge" the death by finding and killing the culprit. Because sharks should know better than to bite, attack, eat, or devour a human, right?

we suck...

I was watching the history channel once and the only reason for shark attacks are because they are just seeing if the human in this case is edible. They just take a little nibble to see if it tastes good but they are so powerful they rip it right off. Even when they smell you they still atleast cut you.

havnmonkey:
I think the biggest problem with this event is the negative publicity toward sharks. I know so many people who are afraid of the thought of sharks and think that they are some sort of vicious killing machine, and yet none of them have even seen a shark!

So many people have prejudices against these animals for no reason; and living in FL with our shark "attack" problem it is so aggravating. Every time someone gets bit there is such an uproar against them. If it's a fatal attack local authorities always try to "avenge" the death by finding and killing the culprit. Because sharks should know better than to bite, attack, eat, or devour a human, right?

we suck...
Thats 1978 JAWS thinking. The show was presented in a not so great light on the tournament and the bio folks had to write in and speak up to defend it. Killing for pure sport is wrong, for anything but if you only see one side of the story, how can you judge? Example: NYC takes on mass killing of overpopulated rats! Good, right? Canada takes on mass killing of overpopulated baby seals, Bad right? Why?

Forgive, please, me if I do seem callous. I do care about the ecosystems of the world. I am neither for nor against hunting (as I have never hunted), but I do enjoy fishing when I have the opportunity. As an angler I usually only catch & release, and try to return my catch to the water as unscathed as I am able to do. But I am having a difficult time understanding how this tournament is different from any other hunting/fishing tournament. They even have programs on TV of hunter/ angler & cameramen teams documenting the sport for points. I have always viewed hunting and fishing as a sport in which the hunter/ angler must take responsibillity for their actions to try to keep a balance of game populations in the right porportions and stay within the boundaries of the law. Not every deer or turkey hunter takes their catch home for the dinner table (though I would think most do). Some only hunt for the trophy of the antler rack or to have the animal stuffed as a trophy. I believe that we humans are supposed to be stewards of our planet. The resources are there for our use, but it is up to us to use those resources wisely. Please don't think I don't love animals, I do. I was a veterinary techncian for almost 7 yrs. and found that to be a very rewarding career. For what it matters that is my 2 cents worth & I have said my peace on the subject.

tstormwarning:
But I am having a difficult time understanding how this tournament is different from any other hunting/fishing tournament. They even have programs on TV of hunter/ angler & cameramen teams documenting the sport for points. I have always viewed hunting and fishing as a sport in which the hunter/ angler must take responsibillity for their actions to try to keep a balance of game populations in the right porportions and stay within the boundaries of the law. Not every deer or turkey hunter takes their catch home for the dinner table (though I would think most do). Some only hunt for the trophy of the antler rack or to have the animal stuffed as a trophy. I believe that we humans are supposed to be stewards of our planet. The resources are there for our use, but it is up to us to use those resources wisely.

I think for me the difference is the time it could take the shark population to recover from these losses (when combined with other pressures ie longlining). Deer/turkeys are both, as I understand it better populated now than at any time in US history and their population recruits replacements very quickly. Sharks are much slower to recover cos they take a long time to reach maturity and unlike most fish don't produce masses of young every year. I wouldn't have any problem if they were as prolific as, for example, bass, deer or turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom