Sharks - Diving With These Beauties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am a new diver, and will be diving at Aliwal Shoal in December this year. Can anyone give me pointers regarding diving with sharks. Aliwal has awesome Raggies. This is their world, and I want to "behave" safely and sensibly - and enjoy myself. Any pointers ?

JOHN DE KLERK:
I am a new diver, and will be diving at Aliwal Shoal in December this year. Can anyone give me pointers regarding diving with sharks. Aliwal has awesome Raggies. This is their world, and I want to "behave" safely and sensibly - and enjoy myself. Any pointers ?

Raggies are big and toothy but very slow moving calm sharks (until/unless spooked) don't approach too close or too quick and they won't flee or get upset. Treat them with the same respect you would treat any large animal.

These are from Protea Banks this year:

61825624_3eaf0a50b0_o.jpg

61825905_8bc008bffe_o.jpg

Also have a quick look around the sand where the raggies hang out and you may find some cool souvenirs:

61823166_99ec98a85d_o.jpg

PS Once you have a few more dives under your weight belt try protea - I had 5 species of shark in 8 dives.

Mike Veitch:
Don't bring any fish heads with you.... :)

Seriously, just relax and have fun. Stay calm and don't pull their tail!

.........and make sure your buddy looks more "delicious" than you........:D

Man... I sooooo want to do a shark dive... We saw three nurse sharks on a dive in Coz. Two smallish ones, and one big mama. Awesome... On one of the wall dives, there was a monstrous barracuda that was hanging out about fifty feet off the wall, just checking us out as we drifted by. Wreck dives and quarries are alright, I guess... What really lights me up is seeing huge marine life! :)

Don't look like a seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom