Sharks - Diving With These Beauties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a live-a-board to the Bahamas where we made a shark dive at Bull Run. There was about 10-12 Carribbean Reef Sharks around us at any given time. All was well. They were so dis-interested in us. Be cool, it will be great.

61825624_3eaf0a50b0_o.jpg

Aww... I want to hug him and kiss him and call him George! :10: :love2: :icosm07:

scubagal00:
I just returned from a live-a-board to the Bahamas where we made a shark dive at Bull Run. There was about 10-12 Carribbean Reef Sharks around us at any given time. All was well. They were so dis-interested in us. Be cool, it will be great.

Bull Run is a great dive, isnt it? Not uncommon to see large grouper there too.

Sharks, like many other critters have specific body language to be aware of. Do a little research so you know some warning signs that a shark may be feeling fiesty.
(Before someone else says it...yes, your dive buddy hanging out of a sharks mouth is a sure sign of a shark feeling "fiesty".)

Fish_Whisperer:
Okay: What are some signs that a shark has you on his menu?

If he arches his back he has entered an aggressive state. Or, if he is wearing a bib with a picture of a diver on it.

Sharks on Bull Run are used to divers, but as always just use common sense. If you're not aggressive to them, you should be fine. Most times, if you get too close, they're the ones that will turn around and go. I got close to this guy on Bull Run in August.

blackbeards-2005-17sb.jpg

Another usual sign of shark agression is holding the pectoral fins at a sharp 45 degree downward angle instead of relatively flat. It indicates a relatively "pissy" mood (as well as the arched back).

I dove in the Exumas with Caribbean reef sharks for my first shark dives - not on a feed, just regular dives and there were about 3 or 4 milling around the sites. I was a bit nervous my first time, but I soon saw that there were also about a zillion jacks hanging around as well. I figured from the shark's point of view, there were a zillion hamburger-sized fish and a couple cow-size divers. Hmmm....if *I* were a shark, which one was I going to go for? A bite-sized hamburger or a great big cow-sized diver blowing bubbles and easily as big as me and likely to fight back? :wink: That settled me down a lot.

That's not to say that I didn't have a little adrenaline rush when one decided that noise from the autofocus in my camera was interesting and ran at me head-on, only to turn away about 3 feet from me. I just held up my housing, ready to ram it in the nose and give him a good mouthful of polycarbonate if he wanted a bite. When he turned aside, I at least had the presence of mind to get a good picture. :D

Took my heart a couple of minutes to slow down after that one....

I've dived with sharks a number of times since then and been fine. I just keep my distance, keep my cool and keep an eye on them. I don't chase them, I respect them and I'm always grateful when I get to dive with them.

Back
Top Bottom