Sharks - Diving With These Beauties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum:
Anyone had a shark get mad at you for taking his picture?:jaws:

I was watching a shark show last night, 10 Most Dangerous Sharks - the narrator is a photographer who has been bitten and seemed pretty angry at sharks in general. BUT one thing he said which was interesting was that he thinks that strobe light (camera flash) is irritating to sharks.

QUOTE]

I'm not sure he's right that it is irritating but aome species do react. I suspect the electronic impulse from the strobe sends quite a rush through the ampullae of lorenzii. I did a dive in an aquarium with two small bull sharks and "for liability reasons" we were fenced off from the sharks in a cage type enclosure. As soon as I started taking pictures the bulls behaviour became inquisitive almost to the point of aggressive - did get some ok pics though:

19865742_65faa09862.jpg

RumBum:
Anyone had a shark get mad at you for taking his picture?:jaws:

No. But I have noticed that they seem to be a little more interested in me they few times that I've filmed them. They can sense very small electromagnetic fields ... they seemed like they might be a little curious about the emissions from the video camera.

Kind 1:
Where is the hammer migration (Panama?) I've heard that they cyclone and you can drop down the center....ohhhh I wanna go I wanna go.

Flower Gardens NMS, every Feb-March. Boat leaves from Freeport, TX.

Kind 1:
Where is the hammer migration (Panama?) I've heard that they cyclone and you can drop down the center....ohhhh I wanna go I wanna go.

hate to sound negative but that sort of experence can be pretty rare - scalloped hammers are notoriously shy around bubblemaking divers. I've been lucky enough to dive with schooling hammers 4 times (egypt and south africa) and only got a nice close up look at one shark (he snuck up behind me:wink: ). Mostly its an amazing view of a lot of silhouettes in the distance.

Back
Top Bottom