Sharks & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's also why we have dive knives... you just need to stab your buddy and get the heck out of there. :wink:

The first indication a GWS is in the area is that one of your appendages are missing. At least that is the rumour on the North Coast. Then they spit you out because you arn't tasty like a sea lion.

I minimize my surface swim time when diving the Triangle and I minimize my time diving in the Triangle. The Red Triangle has a huge amount of Sea Lion rookeries and it's the GWS version of a grocery store.

An old Abalone diver told me " If all the seals and sea lions are hauled out on the rocks, find another place to dive". I follow his instructions.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

This last week we were diving in Jamaica. One of the divers with us on the boat told us that he was recently diving off of Cancun, and their group was being bumped by 14' bull sharks at depth. I think if that happened to me I'd do much more than just pee in my wetsuit.

I am going to Mexico in a few weeks to dive with the bull sharks for the first time. I'm no expert, but I have read a lot about sharks in the past couple of months and don't think I came across on documented incidence where a shark attacked a scuba diver that was only observing and not chumming the water. I'm sure that it has happened in a case of mistaken identity, but it seems very rare. My advice is that if you are that concerned about what to do if a shark attacks you, then you shouldn't dive in the ocean.

Carrying a weapon would just give you a false sense of security as I doubt you will have enough time to react if a shark attacked you. You might just freak out, miss, and end up spearing a buddy. It seems to me that the best advice is to be knowledgeable about the species of wildlife and environment you are in and try to not look or act like a predator's natural prey.

There isn't any point in fear, because you are in there habitat and if they want to get you, they will. And there isn't much you will be able to do about it!

I am going to Mexico in a few weeks to dive with the bull sharks for the first time. I'm no expert, but I have read a lot about sharks in the past couple of months and don't think I came across on documented incidence where a shark attacked a scuba diver that was only observing and not chumming the water. I'm sure that it has happened in a case of mistaken identity, but it seems very rare. My advice is that if you are that concerned about what to do if a shark attacks you, then you shouldn't dive in the ocean.
You might try reading the link I posted above. That accounts for two documented cases and I have personal knowledge of a third. In none of those cases was anyone chumming.
Carrying a weapon would just give you a false sense of security as I doubt you will have enough time to react if a shark attacked you. You might just freak out, miss, and end up spearing a buddy. It seems to me that the best advice is to be knowledgeable about the species of wildlife and environment you are in and try to not look or act like a predator's natural prey.
The Farallon Shark Dart was highly effective, it does not require "shooting" and is non-explosive, it is also unavailable ... which gives you an idea of just what a necessary accessory it is.:D But I was exceedingly glad I had one with me when I needed it.
I
There isn't any point in fear, because you are in there habitat and if they want to get you, they will. And there isn't much you will be able to do about it!
Again, there are a lot of things that you can do if in a tight spot with a shark, I strongly suggest carrying a "billie," the odds of ever needing anything more are exceedingly small.

Thalassamania,

I did read your story, and since you said that you were doing tag and release, I just assumed that you were in an area where there might have been some fish splashing around or something of that nature. What I meant was that I rarely hear of a diver that has been attacked while in the water only observing. Both of those stories had the divers doing other things which might have agitated or confused the sharks. It just doesn't seem to be a common occurrence for a shark to attack a scuba diver completely unprovoked. I might be completely full of it and may eat my words if a bull shark decides to make me lunch.

As far as the anti-shark devices, you and other experienced divers may be completely competent in the water with these weapons, but I would not feel the same if every diver out there was welding these lethal devices without proper training. I may be naive but I still think the best protection is a healthy respect for the environment we go into.

Last week a surfer was attacked by a great white shark while paddling his surfboard off a beach in Monterey. He was lucky to survive but suffered had nasty cuts on his neck and arms, He was released from the hospital and is doing fine.

There is an area off California called the “Red Triangle” that runs from Bodega Bay, out to the Farallon Islands, and down to Big Sir. They migrate inland in the fall during the breeding and calving season of elephant seals at Ano Nuevo and various seals at the Farallon Islands.

I dive Monterey area so these Great Whites are around. I don’t really worry about them but I always wondered was there anything I could do if one approached. I was diving off Bluefish Cove a few weeks back and found out that a diver was attached at the same location several years ago. There are many more attacks on surfers or free divers based on the stats than scuba divers.

Chances of an attack of a great white while scuba diving is extremely small and I don’t worry about it. Bull, Tiger, and Oceanic Whitetip are more common in other areas but the Great White is in my area.

I am curious if there is anything you can do to prevent or fend off a shark attack?

Seems to me that you already know the answer to your own question. If you know when they frequent that area then dive somewhere else during that time. To answer your actual question, sharks are at the top of their food chain so they do not know what to do with something that is attacking them. If you can not get away from them then fend them off with whatever you have at hand. This will usually put them off long enough for you to get out of the area. The bad news however is that this dose not seem to apply to great whites.

Thalassamania,

I did read your story, and since you said that you were doing tag and release, I just assumed that you were in an area where there might have been some fish splashing around or something of that nature. What I meant was that I rarely hear of a diver that has been attacked while in the water only observing. Both of those stories had the divers doing other things which might have agitated or confused the sharks. It just doesn't seem to be a common occurrence for a shark to attack a scuba diver completely unprovoked. I might be completely full of it and may eat my words if a bull shark decides to make me lunch.

As far as the anti-shark devices, you and other experienced divers may be completely competent in the water with these weapons, but I would not feel the same if every diver out there was welding these lethal devices without proper training. I may be naive but I still think the best protection is a healthy respect for the environment we go into.
A healthy respect combined with the rather extreme odds of such an encounter are indeed the best way to look at it.

The Farallon Shark Dart was a non projectile, non-explosive solution, the only danger was from a capped sharp tip, akin to the dangers of a dive knife. that was one of its beauties.

I think along the lines with most of the reply's. Living and diving here in So Cal you have to know that the chances of an attack are extremely slim! In saying that you know that you are in their world and limit your chances by most of the things stated before. We are not on there menu and any attacks are just mistaken identity. I think the last attack and death where I dive often in La Jolla was in the late 50's and the person was diving while there was a whale carcass on shore. So use some sense and enjoy your dive and 99.99% of the time you'll be fine which works for me!

Besides great white sharks are alot of fun to dive with check my video out

Cageless Great White Shark Diving Guadalupe Island 2011 - YouTube

If one seeks to avoid sharks, carry a camera.

Can't spot one to save my life with camera in hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom